I think there's a lot more to it then just a new GUI. The engine behind Zowe is an API layer which will enable vendors and customers to integrate tools. The Zowe GUI is modern web tech using Angular/React and other cutting edge technologies so everything will run in a browser or mobile devices. Editors will use new standards like the Language Server Protocol and will be able to move seamlessly between browsers or PCs to reside on either the cloud or desktop. That's a hell of a lot more compelling then Eclipse plugins. If you want to reach out to young people to work on mainframes they will expect this kind of technology. It seems absurd but there a is huge amount of young people out there using VS Code or Atom editors using Vim emulation! Why not add ISPF emulation for the old timers?

There is also much emphasis on a CLI which is critical for automated builds and deployments. Zowe is more marketing then substance at the moment but give it time and we should start to see cool things coming online soon.

Of course ISPF isn't going anywhere soon. We teach the young guys 3270 and they learn in with no problems and for a whole lot of use cases it's better and more efficient in terms of user interaction. Young devs these days spend a lot of time in a comand shell typing commands. But for a lot of things like editors or anything that benefits from graphics the GUI is the go.