On 11/5/2019 6:54 PM, Jousma, David wrote:
Terse, dont terse, your call.  I have 100% reliability as long as the
destination disk dataset for the ftp is newly created.  If the destination
dataset already exists, then yes, there have been problems.

As you mention there are some specific options on the transfer to specify, and
as long as you do, it will work fine.

Sending the dump file outside the company, probably not bad idea to terse since
we are all familiar with it.

Dave Jousma

AVP | Manager, Systems Engineering
Fifth Third Bank  |  1830 East Paris Ave, SE  |  MD RSCB2H  |  Grand Rapids, MI
49546

616.653.8429  |  fax: 616.653.2717
________________________________
From: Tom Conley <pinnc...@rochester.rr.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:17 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Zfs from 1 LPAR to another

**CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

On 11/5/2019 3:11 PM, Wayne Bickerdike wrote:
I always terse the dump file too. Had issues with Restore if the file
wasn't  tersed.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019, 03:53 Pierre Fichaud <pr...@videotron.ca> wrote:

Dave,
          I'll do that. The files are not big.
          They can be sent as ZIP files.
Thanks, Pierre

Wayne beat me to it.  Terse any DFDSS file before sending.  You may get
away with DFDSS with mode block and EBCDIC.  Until you don't.  Terse it
for 100% reliability.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Dave,

For over a year, I FTP'd a DFDSS dump of my IODF file to every LPAR that needed it. Worked fine, until it didn't. IBM's response to the PMR that I opened is that the only 100% reliable way to FTP a DFDSS dump file was to terse it first. IBM does not support direct FTP of a DFDSS dump file. So I now terse every DFDSS dump file before FTPing it to other systems, and I haven't had another failure in 6 years. As I said, it will work until it doesn't.

Regards,
Tom Conley