I'd probably be inclined to use a TERSEd DFDSS dump, too - but that's just
because I don't implicitly 'trust' (read: 'understand') UNIXy things.

One such 'thing' I was shown was:
Apparently this means something like: "create a tar ball of <srcdir> on
stdout then pipe it through to stdin for input to an un-tar command, after
logging on to logging on to <targsys> and cd-ing to <targdir>"
It worked without a problem the only time I used it but, as I say, I was
too darn scared of using it again. Too many possible ways of screwing up,
as far as I was concerned.

Sean