> On 11/11/2007, Virginia Tupper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > We have well water at the farm.  I, being a city girl, haven't even
> > thought of power outages and wells...great....another thing to think
> > about and consider.  Do I need a generator?
>

How long power outages vary from place to place and the storm that
caused it.  Over a 9 year period we have had many (too many to count)
outages that lasted less than 4 hours.  Probably only one or two that
were 12  hours long.  One that was 2 days and one during a severe ice
storm with below zero temps that lasted 7 days.  Living in a hilly and
heavily wooded area, you may have 40 people on a downed line, and this
will be down the list for being repaired as opposed to lines that have
hundreds or thousands on a downed line.  We do have a generator and
have used it.  We bought our 5000 watt Honda generator back in 1999,
when prices and demand were higher.   While we were building, we had
the electrician wire a plug outside in a covered area and we have to
wheel it out of the garage, plug it in and throw a switch in the
electric panel box.  It's enough to run the well, a few lights, a
small tv, and the refrigerator.  We use our wood stove that will heat
the whole house (works way better for heat than a fireplace).  We also
have a large south facing window wall for passive solar heat during
the day.

During the week long power outage and ice storm, the 150 gallon water
tank had 4 inch thick ice covering it.  What I did was put warm water
from the house in 3 gallon buckets in the corner feeders in the stalls
and packed hay around the the buckets.  Easy enough to do for 2 or 3
horses.  It would keep the water from freezing for 12 hours.  The
first night I went down to the barn after 6 hours (3 am) to make sure
that the water wasn't frozen solid.   Since it was so cold the horses
were eating lots of hay to keep warm and I didn't want to risk
impaction colic from lack of water.  I would also give them what I
called hot toddies.  I would put a little molasses in a bucket of warm
water.  They would drink it up right away.  They liked it and I felt
better because I could see each horse drinking it.   I don't know what
we would have done without the generator that week.  We knew many
people that just moved to hotels for the week.


-- 
Anna
Southern Ohio

Reply via email to