>>> I find that horses that are fearful of having their heads touched can 
>>> also have dental problems and poll problems.  As we know there is always 
>>> a reason - and in some cases the genetic tendency can certainly be 
>>> there.


Melnir was headshy when we got him, but his reason was just "one of those 
things".  He and the older stallion had gotten out of their fence not long 
before we bought him, and into the pasture with some mares and geldings. 
Melnir ended up needing stitches in his nostrils - no physical scars, but 
that had to be unpleasant for him.  We just bribed him into his halter for a 
while with treats, until he learned to put his halter on himself. 
Gradually it got better and better until the problem went away.  Once 
Anneliese visited and asked about his old problem, and frankly, I'd 
forgotten about it.   His may have been an unusually easy case to overcome, 
but sometimes just finding ways to work around an "issue" can make the issue 
go away.


One thing I question about the original post...Are there still "meat buyers" 
paying $600-800 for Icelandic-sized ponies in the northwest?   The minimum 
price for auctions in the southeast seems to have dropped to next to 
nothing.  That's about what the meat price was for full sized horses 20 
years ago.  I hear of horses going to the auction for $200 or even less here 
now sometimes.  I assume that drop in the minimum is due to the closing of 
meat plants in the USA...?


On a much more pleasant note, I'm pretty pumped about the success we've seen 
with previously "very nervous" Cali.  Granted, a horse isn't going to 
overcome 11 years of distrust in humans overnight, but if anyone has the 
patience to take on a project horse, AND the willingness to give the horse 
some downtime and "space" as needed, nothing is more rewarding.  You just 
have to remember that there are no guarantees, but if you take things one 
day at a time, and don't create arbitrary schedules for progress, you might 
just find it's fun.  This kind of project isn't for everyone, but if you 
enjoy getting inside the mind of a horse, and tiny successes can keep you 
fueled and excited, this is a great thing to do.  Please be honest with 
yourself though - if you are nervous or excitable, or inexperienced, there's 
no shame in NOT taking on a project.  You have to be more about the 
"journey" than the "destination" I think to enjoy this kind of thing, so 
it's not for everyone.  I can't imagine there ever being any profit in this 
sort of thing if you approach it with a conscience. Since I've learned to 
enjoy the journey, I've enjoyed working with horses more than ever before.


I'd take this horse in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay cross-country 
hauling...and I'm tired of PAYING for projects that are bound to cost me 
much time and money.  I enjoy the challenge, but my previously teeny-tiny 
"fortune" is not getting any larger...



Karen Thomas, NC
"How do you make a small fortune with horses?  Start with a large one."  Too 
bad I didn't...

Reply via email to