>>> It makes me angry when people have a horse with complex issues, they ask 
>>> for the amount they paid for the horse (before it was ruined by them) 
>>> but then they stress it needs to go to a good home only. Seems like an 
>>> oxymoron to me.


Boy, you got that right.

I think I said this before, but it's probably worth repeating.  If what you 
described about this mare is right $1000 COULD be a reasonable price for 
her... and for some people, she could prove to be a bargain.  If she were 
closer, I'd go look at her.   Frankly, I'd much rather have one that's 
unstarted under saddle than one that's had hard or rough training, or other 
bad riding-related experiences, so the fact that she's not started might 
even be a plus in a case like this.

I'm not writing this up to discourage anyone from adopting a problem/project 
horse.  I get more joy from this than from anything I've ever done, and I'm 
considering upping the ante for my next project.  I would ENCOURAGE anyone 
who feels drawn to this to do it.   Just be aware that it can get expensive, 
and there are no guarantees.  No guarantees at all...

I am really writing this to the owners and breeders who don't understand how 
much it costs to rehab/rescue a horse, and how much time and effort.

It's just a harsh reality right now, that hauling is more expensive than 
ever.   Just one case study, for those who haven't taken a project horse 
before from another part of the country:  a year or two ago, I could have a 
horse hauled to NC from Southern California for maybe $900-1200 - I can't 
remember exactly and the price was always less per horse if I had two or 
more hauled at a time.  Now, I expect it would be at least $2000 - not sure 
but that's close enough. I've never had one hauled from Oregon or 
Washington, but that would be a little more.  Ok, if no one noticed this 
halter injury, then that tells me that the mare 1) hasn't had her shots 
lately. 2) She hasn't had her teeth done, and 3) her feet haven't been 
trimmed in a while and 4)she probably hasn't been wormed in a while...and 
maybe none of the these things have ever been attended to.  By the time I 
paid to have her teeth done, the initial series of WNV, EEE, WEE shots, plus 
rabies, etc., plus a general health checkup, I'd expect a vet/teeth bill of 
maybe $400-500, but any problem could push that way up.  And heaven help us 
if there were damage/disease from the lack of shots, lack of wormings, etc. 
She MIGHT be fine.  There's a good chance she's fine...but there's a real 
chance she's not.   Ask Janice...

So far:  $1000 for the horse, $2000 for hauling, $100 or so for the Coggins 
and health certificate and $500 for the other vet work - no x-rays or lab 
work, just routine stuff.   Add in another $50-60 for worming, and farrier - 
assuming that she'd stand for the farrier. There's $3500-3800.  Assuming 
that vet bill got her up to date on general health, I still have an 
unstarted horse, with serious headshy issues, and maybe other issues that we 
didn't bank on, but if we're lucky, she's healthy and up to date.

I'm pretty confident I can work through the head issues, but how many people 
are willing to, even if they are able to?  And how long will it take?  One 
thing we've talked about a lot on this list is the importance of giving 
horses time to settle into their new homes.  If I got that mare, I'd plan on 
giving her at least three months off, maybe much more, with only the most 
passive of "daily handling" type training. But, I'd still have to buy hay 
for her, get her feet trimmed, etc.during her decompression period.   I 
generally do a lot of our pre-saddling training (although not so much this 
year, with my flu, pneumonia and asthma issues) so I don't have to pay for 
ALL the initial towards-saddling training.  I'd be very surprised if she 
were ready (REALLY ready) to start towards saddle training in less than six 
months.  It MIGHT be less time, or it could be much longer.  In the 
meantime, the hay, farrier and wormings are still ongoing, so probably 
another $500 has clicked away.  I'm over $4000 now, assuming I can do all 
the training/rehabbing to this point.  And I still don't have a "started" 
horse.  What do professional trainers charge now, for those who don't feel 
qualified to start horses themselves?  Maybe $500-1000 per month generally? 
I'm sure that varies regionally, but I doubt many people are as lucky as I 
am, in that I can get professional help on a per-session basis as needed. 
Most people would need to add, what...?  $1000 for a professional to even 
start a horse?  Those of us who do it ourselves (at least partly) can "save" 
that money or part of it, but most of us are slower than professionals...and 
as the time is ticking away, that horse is still eating hay. Seriously, even 
doing as much as I do myself, I'd probably have at least $4500 in this 
so-called $1000 horse by the time she was barely started under saddle, and 
that could easily be $1000 more.  And I'm assuming that my existing saddles 
and tack work - someone with fewer horses might have to add in another 
$1000-1500 for tack.  Of course, that can be an expense with any horse, but 
if the horse has no prior baggage, the chances of actually using that tack 
is much higher.  Ouch.  Ok, the horse is finally started under saddle, but 
still very green...and that horse will never forget the basis for her 
initial headshyness - she may forgive, but she won't forget.

And, I'm assuming that no one made any misjudgments in the horse's readiness 
for progression at any point, so that there are no human injuries.  That's 
another possibility. So there's potential for medical bills, lost time from 
work, and maybe having to pay someone to take care of other 
responsibilities.

If this horse were in my neighborhood, this initially $1000, but 
in-reality-$4500-5500 horse would cost me might cost me $2000-3000 less, and 
if I could see her in person and spend a little time with her, I'd have a 
better idea of the gamble I'd be taking.  Living where I do, I'd have to 
take a deep breath and gamble...or pass on her.  I've done that a few times, 
and I've never lost...but if I keep doing this, the odds will eventually 
catch me.  Most people remember in detail how painfully the odds caught 
Janice two years ago.

I didn't write this up to discourage anyone from adopting a problem/project 
horse.  I get more joy from this than from anything I've ever gotten from 
about anything else, and I'm considering upping the ante for my next 
project.  I can't put a price on that wonderful feeling of satisfaction when 
I see some progress. I would ENCOURAGE anyone who feels drawn to this to do 
it.   Just be aware that it can get expensive, and there are no guarantees.


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to