>>>> Wow...things are bit more expensive in the Northeast. You can't even get a 
>>>> rescue 
>>>> horse for $300


I could say the same thing about the Charlotte area, if I only looked in 
certain places. 
If you're talking about through a rescue agency, no, you probably can't get a 
rescue horse 
anywhere for that, not through an agency.  It all depends on where you're 
looking and what 
you're looking for.  There ARE Icelandic's that are being given away across the 
country, 
but it takes an owner with guts to admit the horse needs help more than the 
owner needs 
the money.  Bless those owners for valuing the horses and doing what's right 
for them.


"Rescue" is a very vague term, and rescues come in many degrees of need.  Most 
"rescue" 
horses don't go through an agency.  I have no doubt that Stali and Svertla met 
the 
definition as clearly as any Icelandic's that I've heard of, and Janice had to 
go in very 
discretely and negotiate to get them, keeping a blind eye to what she saw.   
That woman 
had no intentions of surrendering them to any agency.  Someone just happened to 
see them 
and thankfully word got out.   I'm sure many, probably most, rescues are hidden 
away on 
some off-road pasture, well out of sight.


Do you have auctions in your area?   Not "breed auctions," but the old 
livestock style? 
I'm sure they exist in the Northeast.  That's where you find many rescues and 
that's where 
you get the other side of the story.   New York breeds a lot of racehorses, 
right?  They 
have to dispose of the racing industry rejects somewhere.


>>> A decent horse around here will cost you at least $2500. A seasoned 
>>> dressage or hunter 
>>> could cost you anywhere between $5000 to $10,000...or more depending on 
>>> breed.


Many "decent" horses in this area, even some trail horses, are selling for much 
more than 
that - IF the horse has a particular market, fits a particular niche and has an 
owner who 
can market the horse.  An unstarted filly with known issues is far from a "sure 
thing." 
There aren't that many people willing to take on a project, or that know enough 
that they 
should take one on.  I know, because once I started taking a few, it sickens me 
how many I 
have to turn away.   But "plain old trail horses" are harder to market, even 
trained and 
experienced ones, and many people don't know how/where to sell them.  And even 
if they did 
know how to sell them, there aren't enough people buying them that are willing 
to pay what 
horses are worth.  I know a guy locally who takes barely-under-14.2H grade 
ponies, trains 
them to jump and sells them for as much as $100,000, many for over 
$25,000...but he's 
set-up his market and his image, and SOME people will buy them.  That doesn't 
change the 
fact that there are also grade (or less glamorous registered) trail horses, and 
rejected 
hunters, gaited horses, and all kinds are being given away or sold for 
next-to-nothing in 
this same area.  It just depends on where you look and how you define "decent".


Karen Thomas, NC 

Reply via email to