>>>> So I'm glad drought and high hay prices don't affect you, but they 
>>>> affect us out here.


I didn't say that, Susan.  The drought affected us in the southeast 
seriously - last year.   I said earlier that I don't ever expect to pay what 
we've been used to paying for hay.   Last year, we had to scramble to bring 
in hay at over double the price we normally pay, and we were darned lucky to 
find it for that price. I had 23 horses last year - 2 more this year.  Last 
year's drought caused a hay crisis unlike anything I've seen in this area in 
20 years of owning horses, and it hit us REALLY hard in the pocketbook. 
That particular weather pattern - the drought in the southeast that was the 
subject of the video - is past.

I think there are at least two much more newsworthy issues that the media 
SHOULD be talking about instead of last year's drought.  What bothers me is 
that the low prices horses are going for at auction is being blamed on 
drought.  I don't think that's it.  I think the biggest problem that's 
causing horses to go so cheaply at auction is the fact that meat buyers 
aren't keeping the price floor at a minimum since the slaughterhouses 
closed.  It's an ugly situation, but hopefully it will turn around and 
things will be better because of it...eventually.   If we wring our hands 
over last year's drought, then we aren't making it clear to people that 
there are simply too many unwanted horses.   We need to educate people to 
breed fewer horses, and to breed smarter, and to take care of the horses on 
this planet already. And we CAN become aware of why corn prices are so 
high - because of government-subsidized ethanol production...an "alternate 
fuel" that consumes more energy than it produces. And those 
artificially-high corn prices are driving up the price of soybeans since 
more farmers are growing corn and there's less soybeans.  That's seriously 
affecting the food-supply for much of the world.  And, it's taking land out 
of hay production.

I have long-term concerns about hay-supplies, and the cost of hay.  These 
other issues are present and loom ahead of us, and could potentially get 
bigger and bigger.  I just wish the media and the doomsayers would address 
these current and future issues, not dwell on last year's weather news.


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to