On Oct 30 19:44:08, Peter Lind wrote:
> On 30 October 2010 19:18, Chad Emrys <ad...@codeangel.org> wrote:

> >>     It does have merit --- to you, and perhaps a few others.
> >> Hopefully without sounding like I'm ridiculing you (it's not my
> >> intent), have you seriously considered this at all, and are you
> >> realizing that it's just not going to happen at this time?  I mean, if
> >> you submitted a request or implementation proposal for an INI-based
> >> option to switch between token strings and expanded help messages,
> >> that would likely receive more serious attention than the dismissive
> >> discussion.

> >>     Well, if your statement about how no one here who disagrees with
> >> you does "enough support" (which is, quite frankly, an asinine
> >> assessment), then an equal rebuttal will be that you do not know
> >> enough about the inner workings of the software you claim to support,
> >> nor the culture of the group who maintains it.
> >>
> >>     You're taking a minor annoyance and trying to convince the masses
> >> - and indeed the "powers that be" - that it is tantamount to Y2K38.
> >> Again, I'm really not trying to insult you or your original opinion
> >> here, Chad, but the continued arguments are almost coming off as silly
> >> now.
> >>

> > If you haven't noticed, I am a bit stubborn, yes it's a problem.  When I
> > submitted this proposal, I have to at least try to plant a bug in their
> > brain that perhaps, they are being to hasty on dismissing this argument.
> >  True, I do not know a lot about this particular culture that maintains PHP.
> >  I just know the bigger culture of those who use PHP, and some of them are
> > quite annoyed by the dismissive nature of the maintainers who are quite at
> > odds to what the majority of the community want or needs.  And I am sort of
> > glad to annoy those who are overly dismissive, and hopefully ploy the one's
> > who are on the fence.
> >
> > No one said I was good at politics.  But the fact one has to play the
> > politics game here to get anything worth while doesn't really phase me.
> >
> > Now I am starting to find this argument straying from the point.  I don't
> > believe attacking me personally or me attacking the nature of this mailing
> > list really has to do with the subject line.
> >

> Why not throw your weight behind http://wiki.php.net/rfc/lemon ? Seems
> to me that might get a lot more traction.

lemon would indeed get rid of actual "names" for such tokens, and would
rather display "unnexpected ::".

The problem with lemon is that it turns out to still be a tad bit slower
than yacc, with some complications on the grammar side (the compiler
helper functions were made for yacc). So unless there is a major speedup
breakthrough, it won't happen in a near future, sadly.

> Regards
> Peter
>
> --
> <hype>