> If one can find an affordable notebook with a *matte* screen anymore,

I share your hate of glossy screens. It's been a few harsh years.

I happened to see a few matte-screen-laptops from Samsung recently,
maybe you can finally find one.
But then, it was quite a small-size (10 to 12") and probably
widescreen resolution.

I also heard you can find companies that replace MacBooks screens with
matte ones for $100.
FYI, the "matte screen" option is $100, only available on the biggest $2500 Mac.

Of course, you probably hate the Mac's UI and its lack of possible
customizations.
It certainly lacks configuration possibilities, but the multitouch
gestures make mac-WM less painful.
GeekBind did much about this, but does not work on the latest MacOS versions.
Maybe Nick has more MacOS WM-tricks, because I'm really new to Mac.

Good luck,

--
Sylvain Abélard
"J'ai décidé d'être heureux, c'est meilleur pour la santé." -Voltaire