On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:

> The problem with general mb stuff is the lack of a libc standard function
> to go back one character in a string (M$ and Watcom libraries seem to have
> an mbsdec function) and with general character sets I'm afraid this could
> make the title-shortening algorithm too slow in case of long titles. (A
> more complicated algorithm might be a possibility but I still don't like
> scanning through the whole string all the time.) An alternative would be
> to just use wchar_t internally, but I kind of prefer a nice encoding like
> utf-8.

Ah, yes, I remember now. But using the Xutf8* functions is not a very good
solution either.

So... what about using UTF-8 internally but converting strings to the
current locale when calling XmbDrawString? Or would that be too slow?

Reply via email to