Hi, Per!

* Per Olofsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-10-18 12:45]:
> At which point does the fonts in xterm disappear? Or did they never do
> that?

When I do 'xterm -fn "-*-fixed-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-0"' the
font is invisible from the start.

> Hmm, so I still don't understand why it doesn't work. Can you check that
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] is defined in /usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias? It probably is,
> though, since fonts work in other applications.

[toto:~]% grep [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias 
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      de_DE.ISO8859-15
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:                                     de_DE.ISO8859-15

OK, from stuffing a lot of debug statements in the code to see what's
going on I figured out some things:
There are at least three different issues:
1) ion is unable to load the CF_FALLBACK_FONT_NAME "fixed", but does not
   tell about it. This is a bug and it happens because the ability to
   load the font is tested with XLoadQueryFont (which succeeds) but the
   font is actually loaded with XCreateFontSet (which fails) and the
   code there thinks we *did* already warn that CF_FALLBACK_FONT_NAME
   could not be loaded and doesn't warn again.
   So either should ion test the loading of CF_FALLBACK_FONT_NAME with
   the current locale by using XCreateFontSet or a failure of
   XCreateFontSet should generate a warning even if the font is
   CF_FALLBACK_FONT_NAME.
2) The reason that "fixed" doesn't work for me is that it is an alias
   for "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1"
   which is of course problematic because I need iso8859-15. I don't
   know if this is a bug in X11. I'll probably file one and see what
   happens.
   So, this was easily fixed by setting CF_FALLBACK_FONT_NAME to
   "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-*"
   in config.h and recompiling.
3) Then there's the issue of the invisible fonts. I can confirm now,
   that X successfully loads all fonts and that it are the right ones.
   Also, the calls to Xutf8DrawString and Xutf8DrawImageString seem to
   have sane parameters. Why they don't work is a mystery to me. But it
   might as well be a bug in X. I don't know anyone with the neccessary
   knowlege of X to help me here unfortunately.

Cheers,
 Mika

Here's some of the output.

Fonts loaded with de_DE:
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO8859-1
>> -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO8859-1
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-p-76-iso8859-1
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-p-76-iso8859-1

Fonts loaded with [EMAIL PROTECTED] *and* CF_FALLBACK_FONT_NAME set to
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-*":
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-15
>> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-15
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
>> XCreateFontSet succeeded, fonts are:
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-p-76-iso8859-15
>> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-p-76-iso8859-15

Some calls to the Xutf8DrawString and Xutf8DrawImageString functions:
Trying to print something at (381, 14): screen(6)
Fonts are:
-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
Trying to print something at (370, 14): screen<1>(9)
Fonts are:
-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15
-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-15

Reply via email to