On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Mika Fischer wrote:

> OK, we're getting somwhere I think. :)
> You're right. Using "fixed" does work. And I think the reason is that on
> my system "-*-fixed..." defaults to:
> "-*-fixed-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-0" which has a really weird
> encoding and looks like Chinese to me :)
>
> So, when I use this font it's invisible in ion (with UTF disabled).
> It's invisible in xterm, rxvt and Eterm as well.
> There is no error message though.

You're talking about the strange font now, right? "fixed" works?

> I guess one could live with this and I don't even know if there's a way
> ion could check the encoding of the font to make sure it matches the
> locale.

I thought that was X's responsibility.

> The problem with the UTF version persists though. With
> LC_CTYPE="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" I can't get any font to be displayed, not even if
> I am specific like:
> "-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso8859-15"
> And there is no error message here either.

But that's not a unicode font. Shouldn't you use
"-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1"?

> > So I will have to disable UTF-8 in the package, I guess.
>
> I don't know. Perhaps we should try to fix the bug :)
> I'd also like to help but I really don't know much about fonts and all
> this stuff so you'd need to direct me a little...

I don't really know much about fonts either.

Reply via email to