On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Mika Fischer wrote:

> I don't know. But if I start xterm with the strange font there's no
> error from X11.

At which point does the fonts in xterm disappear? Or did they never do
that?

> Ah well, I didn't realize that I *have* to use UTF-8 if support for it
> is enabled in ion. Is that what you're saying? If so then I really would
> suggest taking out the UTF support as you can't expect from anyone
> installing ion that he switches to using UTF-8 fonts and all...
> (After writing this mail I don't think it works this way).

No, obviously, X chooses the font with the correct charset by itself.

I think I had misunderstood the UTF-8 support in Ion. It does not mean
that Ion will use UTF-8 fonts for drawing. Rather, it means that Ion will
use UTF-8 for its internal text strings and when reading text properties
from client windows. The font used will be whatever font is needed for the
charset specified by the locale.

Hmm, so I still don't understand why it doesn't work. Can you check that
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is defined in /usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias? It probably is,
though, since fonts work in other applications.

Reply via email to