Hi Richard,
> > - option 3: I want to power the board with a serial module, provided > it > > can. To do so, I put a jumper on JP3. JP1 and JP2 remain clear. It > doesn't > > matter whether I put a jumper on JP4 or not, the result is the same. > > > > Is that right ? > > No, don't place a jumper on JP3 AND JP4 at the same time, if you do so > your circuit and source is not protected > by fyse F1 > OK. > > > > > Is it possible to replace JP1, JP2 and JP3 by a "tristate" trigger so > > there's no possibility for a user to put jumpers on JP1 *and* JP2 for > > instance (I could do this...). This would make the board more > foolproof... > > if you know what I mean :) > > Yes but than your pcb will become more complicated and it must be a > home brew one OK, I understand. > > The moment you work with a pcb it is smart to know something about > your board or at > least read the description (we must make) very careful or else you can > blow up your board. ... OK, I try not to ! > > As the schematic already say, jumper on JP1 or JP2 or JP3, in the > manual (we need to make), we must tell them explicit not to place more > than 1. About the manual, once the PCB is ready, I'll try to write a highly detailed tutorial, with lots of photos so users can see how it looks like, step by step. This tutorial can be the base for a manual, something like Wisp's one. > > [...] > > - All the serial modules I've used or built have their RTS connected to > > CTS. No flow control, quite common I think. Like in this article: > http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build125.htm. Now imagine I use such > > a module with RTS and CTS connected. I plug it to the board. Will this > work > > ? Or should RTS and CTS remain unconnected from each other ? In that > case, > > do I have to deal with flow control ? (hope not...) > > > Yes this will work and No you don’t need flow control, but like in > your link don’t connect the RTS end CTS from the serial module to the > serial connector of the Main Board else you can’t use RD4 and RD5 for > other purpose. OK, that was my question. So, for what I would want, I'd probably connect RTS to CTS within my serial modules, and just plug RTS serial module's pin to RTS main board's pin (and of course RX, TX, etc...). CTS will remain unplugged. > > > > > Sounds like silly questions, but this whole reset thing is not clear for > me > > :) > > Those are not silly questions, just questions. > On software terms I know that I have sometime questions witch are > simple to you all but a question mark for me, still does not make the > questions ore me silly (do they?) :-). No they don't ! > [...] > > > > > > The connectors are more routable friendly connected to the 18F4550 (I > > > hope) but > > > this I will notice as soon as I start with the pcb. > > > > > If you all agree I will use female array 2,54mm(0.1”) pitch connectors > > > for I/O, > > > male rectangle array 2,54mm pitch connector for serial and ICSP, > > > B-type USB connector and PCB power connector, see Farnell nr 1608726. > > > > About shield connectors, they'll have to be tall enough so all the > > components can fit under the shield. Like these ones, being used to build > > shields (they also have long pins so they can be plugged on the mainboard > > and expose shield connectors to other shields at exactly the same place): > > I will make a drawing with dimensions for placing the connectors on a > shield board > So every body can make a shield board. > Dimensions will be in inches, which is common in pcb world > I already made a template for shields so I can easy make them > (connectors are already in place), I've see your Jaluino Maxi PDF file, looks very promising ! I didn't measure but shield size (that is aera between shield connectors) is closed to the Arduino's shield size, right ? I don't know what's the best size for a shield (not too big, not too small), but I guess Arduino's shield size is probably nice enough. > > > > > http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9279http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9280 > > > > > The schematic is placed in the file section. > > > > Thanks. > > Can you also provide the source files, loaded by your application. BTW, > what > > application are you using to build this ? > > Orcad capture 10.0 > I will download the file you need as soon as it is finished OK? Sure ! > > OK, see the file section Jaluino_maxi_pcb Great. Is Xtal a small version ? I mean not tall, like this one: http://export.farnell.com/iqd-frequency-products/xtal003071-hc49-4hsmx/crystal-4mhz/dp/1703598?MER=i-9b10-00001144 > > > Maybe I can make the pcb a little bit smaller (if you all insist) but > not much. It's up to you. I think it's small enough, and we'll see once it's built. The Arduino single sided version looks close to yours in size ( http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardSerialSingleSided3), but Jaluino has more pins, and more connectors. Nice ! > > I expect that only 3 via’s (wire bridges) are acceptable ;-). 100% acceptable :) Cheers, Seb --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jallib" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
