Hi Matt,

2010/2/9 mattschinkel <[email protected]>

> What about making this new editor look and feel like jaledit, but
> named jaledit 2.0? Would Sunish be ok with this?
>

Why not ? But how different it is from what I'm doing, except the name ?
(and you were not in favor ?)


>
> You mentioned Scintilla, I use this editor for another language and it
> is quite nice. Scintilla has been customized for this other open
> source language "Autoit". You may be able get this custom version and
> edit it for jal. It already has things like compile button and compile
> output.
>

>From what I understand, Scintilla provides framework to deal with code,
syntax hightlight, etc... It's not an editor on its own. Do you mean "Scite"
?


>
> I'm not sure how far along you are with this new IDE.
>

Not very far ! Syntax highlight, compile/upload with custom commands, logs,
clickable error points to corresponding lines, maybe few other things I
can't remember. What is interesting is how many LOC are required and how it
can be done. For now, it's a prototype, though I'm working on easy
install/deployment (usually not the thing to care about in prototyping
stage...), and a way to learn how to deal with Editra (IDE on which it's
based).


>
> Others here have not said "let's put an editor in the jallib pack". I
> am wondering if they will allow this new editor to be placed into the
> pack when it is finnished. Maybe this is a question to ask before
> writing a new IDE.
>

I never said that I would put this editor in jallib-pack... This is
primarily for jaluino, and it's way too far from jaledit's cool stuffs to be
included in a jallib pack.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of IDE myself. I'm too stuck to "vim"
shortcut. Luckily Editra has "vim" emulation commands, and could be a reason
for me to use it :) That said, I understand how important it is to provide
an integrated tool in order for users to easily getting started. That's why
I'm doing this, or at least try to.


Cheers,
Seb


>
> On Feb 9, 2:09 am, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > 2010/2/9 mattschinkel <[email protected]>
> >
> > > > But it's windows only... I'm currently working on an IDE for Jaluino,
> > > > cross-platform. Can't be compared to jaledit, but may be an
> alternative.
> >
> > > Why another IDE? Why don't you either help Sunish re-write Jaledit to
> > > cross-platform (maybe jaledit 2.0) with the same look and feel, or use
> > > PICshell?
> >
> > What I'm looking for is an IDE I could write specific plugins for,
> dedicated
> > to Jaluino. I want it to be cross-platform too.
> >
> > About PICShell: as you know, I really like the unittest feature and the
> > possibility to follow jal code and asm code side by side. But these are
> > features I don't want to expose to users, too much advanced. There's no
> > plugin architecture.
> >
> > About Jaledit: I wish I could use it, really, but it's not
> cross-plaftform,
> > and wine isn't a solution IMO. It's not integrated to original desktop
> > (filesystem, drag'n drop interaction, etc...). I don't know if it also
> work
> > under wine with OSX. There's no plugin architecture too, so I can't
> > customize it. Already discussed this with Sunish, making jaledit
> > cross-plaftform would require to wait synedit to be cross-platform, and
> move
> > to another underlying editor, like Scintilla (and rewrite it). (Sunish,
> > correct me if I'm wrong...)
> >
> > So that's why I'm trying to build yet another IDE, though I wish I
> wouldn't
> > have to.
> >
> >
> >
> > > As Sunish would say "Jaledit runs under wine". So is it possible to
> > > have a Jaledit that already contains wine so people don't need to
> > > install Wine?
> >
> > As I said, using wine won't fill the gap of being cross-platform. It's
> > artificial, slow, rather ugly, and sometime crashes (depends on version).
> >
> >
> >
> > > I would much prefer a solution other then build a new IDE.
> >
> > I would too, but don't seem to have choice by now :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Seb
> > --
> > Sébastien Lelonghttp://www.sirloon.nethttp://sirbot.org
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "jallib" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>
>


-- 
Sébastien Lelong
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to