Dear Janice and Others with smelly books.

This is not an unusual problem.

Just a month ago I received a list of 22 things you can do with a  sheet of
Bounce.  Bounce is a product name for a square of material  saturated with
scented chemicals that we put in electric laundry dryers with our  wet
clothes to prevent static cling in our everyday clothing -- things  like knee
sox
clinging to pants legs.

This list included putting a Bounce sheet inside a book or photo  album to
remove unpleasant odors. I would place it inside the back cover,  between
two sheets of Bounty paper towels.  Bounty has claimed to be  acid-free.  Not
all paper towels are.  We - on Arachne - have  tested Bounty.

In countries with different product names, use your pH testing pen to see
if paper towels are acid-free.  I just found that my pH pen has dried out,
and I could not test the Bounce.  Would someone please do this and report
back to Arachne?????  I realize the scented chemicals may cause the pH mark
to turn yellow, but we really should test it.

I would suggest you put a reminder in your appointment book  to remove
Bounce from book - within 30 days, just in case long-term it  would harm the
book.

By the way, these sheets are said to repel ants and mice (and maybe other
critters that get into our collections), so you might like to try placing
some  sheets near areas where you do not want ants and mice, between paper
towels or  some other barrier -- never directly on collectible textiles, or
inside archival  boxes meant to protect (it might negate the purpose of the
protective  box).  I must recommend you to check regularly, to see if Bounce
is doing any damage, and do not leave it permanently.

Warning:  This information did not come from a qualified expert on how  to
conserve books and papers.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 6/12/2009 3:34:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,