I think, in both cases, it was smoke smell rather than musty.

In the replies to this problem there seem to be people who've had success and people who haven't, and I am wondering if it isn't the people trying to get rid of smoke smell who are successful, and those trying to get rid of a musty smell who fail.

After all, smoke comes from the outside and essentially lies on top of the pages, while mildews and molds grow inside the pages. I know I've never been able to get rid of a musty smell, no matter what I've tried - except for the time I tried taking the book completely apart and washing the pages in a very weak bleach solution. That worked. Didn't do much good for the hand-coloured illustrations, though.

Adele