If the book has mould the following might work. We have a phone in show on the radio. Last week's guest was an antique and furniture conservator. Someone phoned in because he had a wooden chest which had been stored in the basement and had got some mould inside. The conservator did not recommend using bleach because of the long term damage that it does, but he did recommend using vinegar. He said to put a dish of vinegar into the wooden chest and shut the lid down. He said the mould spores are drawn to the vinegar. Perhaps standing the book on end and fanning the pages a little inside a container and putting a dish of vinegar inside the container might work.

I have not tried this, but it is offered as a possible solution to the problem.

Malvary in Ottawa, Canada where we have a lovely sunny morning, but showers, then thunderstorms forecast starting mid-afternoon right in the middle of our lawn bowling tournament.