On 14 Jun 2006 at 8:04, Steven H. McCown wrote:

> Justin Findlay asked "Why should any of this be bigger than troop
> level?"

Because some areas run their scouting program on a wider scale.
Our stake averages only about three youth per age group per
ward. While each ward registers its own units, most of the
program planning, camps, campouts, meetings, advancement, etc.
happen on a stake wide basis. Functionally, each ward has a
patrol and the stake has a troop. This means that there are at
least two sets of leadrs that need to access, update, and track
the information.

> Most that I see using the computer write things down on paper
> and then transfer them to the computer.  It's still a second
> step that most don't get around to taking.  Any current or
> former Ward Clerks out there will know what I mean.

I am now a stake clerk after twelve years of being a ward clerk
(two wards four bishops), I for one, prefer to do everything on
the computer FIRST. I do virtually everything on my laptop which
has WiFi access to the internet from the stake offices (and
previously the ward offices) thanks to generous neighbors. It
makes life so much easier that it is hard to imagine unless you
have experienced it first hand. I no longer find myself telling
priesthood leaders "I'll have to look that up" since I can look
up most things they need immediately using the ward and stake
websites, the online church directory, and the online missionary
recommendation system.

If we go with nothing more than a central repository that
leaders can check out the database, there is no reason to do
more than use TroopMaster since it already has this feature.

General good security practices will suffice for web based
access since if done right, there will be very more information
available than is available on the ward and stake web sites and
access to that information can be readily restricted to hose
that need access.

--Richard