On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:14:00 PM UTC-6, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> It's easy to create a stylesheet that quickly becomes overwhelming.

I am happy with this post.  However, I've wanted to create an even clearer
summary.

The info #786 Design principles for style sheets
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/786> presents such a
summary.  Unlike posts here, it is easy to revise the summary. Here is the
present summary:

- Follow the pattern used in @theme Leo Solarized Dark.
- Assume devs and users understand css.
- Assume devs and users will want to change css nodes *first*.
- Avoid settings wherever possible. This is the *Settings Aha!*
   - Settings must be dead easy to understand, both where defined *and *where
used.
   - Avoid settings defining two-level @ constants.
     Defining color settings using color names is a benign exception.
   - Optional: Avoid settings used in only one place.
     We could eliminate text size settings for *specific *panes, but that's
a close call.

The settings Aha! may be controversial, but I am convinced it is valid:

- Settings are *separate *from the css.
  They must be understandable from the css *without *having to look up
their definitions!
*  The clarity of the css is paramount*.
- We must firmly resist the desire to be clever with settings.
- Dead simple settings imply that new themes must be created by copying old
themes.
  In fact, this initial extra work is unavoidable, and will start paying
off almost immediately.