On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 07:58:33 -0600
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​status_bg_color.  I don't remember exactly.  But the name, whatever
> it is, tells us exactly *nothing* about what the actual color is, and
> that, and only that, is what is important in the css.

I think what matters is the color's role, not the actual color itself.
Themes are usually built from a relatively small palette of carefully
picked colors that play well with each other.  Each color has a
specific role withing that palette.  solarized makes the set seem bigger
than usual because it's really two palettes, one dark and one light,
combined.

It's better to define the css in terms of semantic names like error_fg
and info_fg than to have to remember you're using solarized-red (or
was it solarized-magenta) for errors and solarized-yellow (or was it
solarized-green) for info. items.

It was a long lamented shortcoming of WWW CSS that it didn't support
variable substitution, so that for example you had to write

p.content { color: black; }
div.note { border-color: black; }

... plus dozens of other references to black, and then when you want to
change some, you can't use search and replace, and what people really
wanted to be able to do was write

div.note { border-color: var(--main-bg-color); }

which could be changed once in one place.

> Btw, I am running my tests with Python 3.6.3, PyQt version 5.6.2.  If
> this is broken there is not much Leo can do about it.

Well, I agree it's an upstream problem, but also one that shows zero
sign of getting fixed :-/ so we might have to not use ~=, which is very
annoying, design wise.

Cheers -Terry