On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 7:45 AM, Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

​I agree.
​

> To me, two level
> ​ ​
> setting based stylesheets are needed if the user is to be able to tweak
> themes by changing settings.  I want them to be able to see a setting
> like
>    @color theme_highlight_fg = @solarized-orange
> and change it to
>    @color theme_highlight_fg = black

​I think this is the essence of our disagreement.

What, exactly, does theme_highlight_fg mean, abstracted from the css?  I
say, basically nothing.  And if it did mean something, it would be
difficult to say what it means that would be more clear than actually
tweaking the css.

Imo, the goal of "tweaking" themes this way is misguided.  For sure it will
obscure the css.

Imo, it would be better to base a new theme from an old one by using the
user style sheet.  Don't remember its name. This way the tweaks are
expressed as css, without indirection and without fuss.
​

> it makes no sense to change
>
>    @color solarized-orange = #ffaa22
>    @color solarized-orange = black

​I agree. That's a recipe for instant confusion and lasting maintenance
nightmares.