On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 05:46:27PM +0900, R. Lahaye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded recent CVS (as of Jan. 15th).
>
> After installing lesstif and recompiling XMgrace, this executable says:
>
> Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
> error in loading shared libraries: src/xmgrace: undefined symbol: statI did the
>following:
>
> This message only showed up after upgrading lesstif from 0.91.8 to current CVS.
>
> This is what I've done with lesstif-cvs:
>
> $ ./CVSMake
> $ ./configure --enable-build-Xbae --prefix=/usr/local/lesstif
> $ make
> # make install
> # /sbin/ldconfig
>
> The file /etc/ld.so.conf contains:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib
> /usr/kerberos/lib
> /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
> /usr/lib/gconv
> /usr/local/qt/lib
> /usr/lib/qt-2.1.0/lib
> /usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
> /usr/local/lesstif/lib
> /usr/local/Mesa/lib
>
> ---------
>
> Now I compile XMgrace (the same way as I did when using lesstif 0.91.8):
>
> $ setenv CFLAGS "-I/usr/local/lesstif/include -L/usr/local/lesstif/lib"
> $ setenv CPPFLAGS "-I/usr/local/lesstif/include -L/usr/local/lesstif/lib"
> $ setenv LDFLAGS "-L/usr/local/lesstif/lib"
> $ make configure
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ src/xmgrace
>
> The last command is a test, before I actually install it.
> This results in the following:
>
> src/xmgrace: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider
>re-linking
> src/xmgrace: error in loading shared libraries: src/xmgrace: undefined symbol: stat
>

> I have no idea what to do with these messages. What has gone wrong and where?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

Wrong is that despite your efforts there is an inconsistent state
WRT the LessTif lib being used. As I confess it's not obvious to
me what's wrong either ...

 - what does 'ldd src/xmgrace' say?
   (I think ldd is the 'final' answer, while some config files may not contain
    the complete info, -> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.?!)
 - the grace build was a clean one; you did not just re-configure and
   re-make w/o a 'make clean' and related in advance?

Final remark: it's usually not a good idea to the CVS version anyway.
It used for development and is therefore sometimes featuring
broken code/config stuff, etc. However I don't think your problems
are related to this.

--
Alexander Mai
[EMAIL PROTECTED]