Biju George:

I'm just talking from personal experience. On a few occassions I've tried to protect my CD-ROM applications to stop my clients making copies but I have always run foul of them because once I complete the work and they pay for it, all ownership and rights pass over to them because they are employing me to write their product for them. Therefore I am then unable to stop them copying their own product.

If however I was developing a product for ME to sell on myself then I would be entirely justified in protecting the CDs as I am the full owner of the software.

So what I said previously was valid - if you are developing a project for your client which ultimately they will sell on as theirs, once you've been paid it's not your project any more so you can't really dictate to the client what they can and cannot do with their property. If however you own the project and you are licensing its use (like software companies do) then you are justified to protect it in whatever means you see necessary.

As an aside, as far as I know it's not illegal to copy software discs because what you are paying for is the license to use the software. It is illegal, therefore, to use the software if you have not purchased a license, so distributing CD keys and registration numbers is what will get you shot, not just copying the contents of a disc.

So with that in mind, perhaps you should turn your attention to protecting the use of the content through some kind of licensing, activation or CD key just like other software companies do instead of protecting the disc, which is nigh-on impossible (especially if you'r only running 100 duplications).

Ross

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com