On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:07:37PM +0200, Dan Fruehauf wrote:
> In order to make sure i could connect through linux, i called 012 support
> line, and asked about their method of connection. I was told that the
> authentication is done via DHCP, using the cable modem. forgetting to ask for

AFAIK, they've long since stopped using that scheme. Here's how it used
to work: By cooperating with your cable company, they made the cable
company's DHCP server allocate your computer a _real_ Internet IP
address, in the 012.net IP block. You were recognized as an legible
012.net subscriber by your cable modem's MAC address (yes, their side
can match the cable modem's MAC for requests coming from your PC).
This way, you connect to the Internet without any tunnels ("VPNs").

But anyway, they don't offer it for new customers.

> The connection was done via some kind of a dialer that uses L2TP.

I bet they offer a PPTP as well. Dialing thru PPTP with Linux is a
piece of cake. Pretty much the same as dialing with PPTP thru an ADSL
modem.

> Unconcerned i dialed 012 again, asking them how can i connect with the method
> promised to me - dhcp. what i mainly got was some lame excuses, and that i
> should connect with a dialer and that connecting via DHCP is deprecated (one
> of their excuses was that it is unstable and insecure). Not getting into
> details, it is probably possible to connect via linux to 012, but why should
> we? - when other isps give you your DHCP without arguing...

012.net is one of the few who ever implemented this no-tunnel scheme.
My ISP, NetVision, offers a PPTP server.

I doubt their dialer does anything special. Just ask them for a PPTP
server address and use pptp-client to connect to it.

I suggest you to use my wrapper script for pptp-client, which takes
care of adding the required "route":
http://iglu.org.il/~future/pptp-routed

> "we dont care, they are probably very few..."

First of all, they should work on their customer relation skills. But
it's good to "cut through the bullshit" and know their attitude upfront.

I think it mostly indicates that their support is unprofessional, since
they couldn't figure out that what you need are the raw technical
details: what server the dialer users etc.

> which linux user would like to stay in an ISP that doesnt give a damn ****
> about him or his convienience? ;/

Those support lines are simply full of unskilled monkeys. The question
remains whether you can escalate your issue to someone skilled. With
Arutzei Zahav's support, for example, I found it impossible.