On Wednesday 10 December 2003 23:38, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:07:37PM +0200, Dan Fruehauf wrote:
> > In order to make sure i could connect through linux, i called 012 support
> > line, and asked about their method of connection. I was told that the
> > authentication is done via DHCP, using the cable modem. forgetting to ask
> > for
>
> AFAIK, they've long since stopped using that scheme. Here's how it used
> to work: By cooperating with your cable company, they made the cable
> company's DHCP server allocate your computer a _real_ Internet IP
> address, in the 012.net IP block. You were recognized as an legible
> 012.net subscriber by your cable modem's MAC address (yes, their side
> can match the cable modem's MAC for requests coming from your PC).
> This way, you connect to the Internet without any tunnels ("VPNs").
>
> But anyway, they don't offer it for new customers.
>
> > The connection was done via some kind of a dialer that uses L2TP.
>
> I bet they offer a PPTP as well. Dialing thru PPTP with Linux is a
> piece of cake. Pretty much the same as dialing with PPTP thru an ADSL
> modem.
>
> > Unconcerned i dialed 012 again, asking them how can i connect with the
> > method promised to me - dhcp. what i mainly got was some lame excuses,
> > and that i should connect with a dialer and that connecting via DHCP is
> > deprecated (one of their excuses was that it is unstable and insecure).
> > Not getting into details, it is probably possible to connect via linux to
> > 012, but why should we? - when other isps give you your DHCP without
> > arguing...
>
> 012.net is one of the few who ever implemented this no-tunnel scheme.
> My ISP, NetVision, offers a PPTP server.
>
> I doubt their dialer does anything special. Just ask them for a PPTP
> server address and use pptp-client to connect to it.
>
> I suggest you to use my wrapper script for pptp-client, which takes
> care of adding the required "route":
> http://iglu.org.il/~future/pptp-routed
>
> > "we dont care, they are probably very few..."
>
> First of all, they should work on their customer relation skills. But
> it's good to "cut through the bullshit" and know their attitude upfront.
>
> I think it mostly indicates that their support is unprofessional, since
> they couldn't figure out that what you need are the raw technical
> details: what server the dialer users etc.
>
> > which linux user would like to stay in an ISP that doesnt give a damn
> > **** about him or his convienience? ;/
>
> Those support lines are simply full of unskilled monkeys. The question
> remains whether you can escalate your issue to someone skilled. With
> Arutzei Zahav's support, for example, I found it impossible.

To sum it all, i disconnected from 012 this morning, knowing their support was
unprofessional, and yeah - i know they are monkeys, i didnt expect more -
just a dhcp connection.
Unfortunately netvision misled me with the static ip idea, they give you a
static IP in the UBR (aka the AZTV lan), and then you can run a tunnel on it.
not anything close to static ip.
but what made me sign with netvision was the fact that they supported linux,
and some people knew their linux, ofcourse they told me that slackware is not
supported, yada yada yada. i took some 30 minutes for thinking, and asking
some other people.
when i was sure i could connect through them, i signed, connected, and
surprisingly, there were no problems at all. and like Ilya mentioned - pptp
in linux is easy as hell.
Netvision provided me with their so called script that connects you, and a
pptp client.
All in all, i stayed with netvision because they cared about their linux
users, that's about it. as for 012 - i think that they lost me pretty quick
just because they have a bunch of dorks in their support teams.

i sum it that it is possible to connect through a dialer with aztv + nv, and
that nv will care for you if youre using linux, unlike 012 or probably other
isps.

Cheers.

--
Dan Fruehauf.