From: Christian Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing finger information
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:38 +0200

Gaurav Navlakha wrote:
> Can someone tell me how one can modify the information that finger
> generates about oneself?

Use the "chfn" command.

On Red Hat, there's also a gui tool for this called "userinfo".

Christian

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:53:21 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: killall with perl-scripts. how?

Marc Beck wrote:

> > > I'm running a perl-script /home/user/bin/test_kill/test_kill.pl.
> > >
> > > When I try to kill it with the killall command like that:
> > > killall test_kill.pl
> > > or killall /home/user/bin/test_kill/test_kill.pl
> > >
> > > killall always reports that no process was killed. How can I kill
> that
> > > script?
> > >

> > use the PID
> >
> > kill PID
> >
> Okay, but I thought that's what killall is doing. It searches the process
> table and kills all processes that are matching the search string.
>
> Is there a simple shell script that does this for me.
>
> cu Marc

ps aux |awk '/[h]ttpd/ {system("kill "$2)}'

would be the shortest I can think of in the moment, another
way would be using xargs. Of course, it's not necessary to kill
apache like this, it has start/stop/more scripts for this, it's
just a random example...

ps aux | awk '/[h]ttpd/ {print $2}' | xargs kill

Hope this helps

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Neo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP ! SuSE 6.4 doesnīt run anymore !
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:03:12 +0200

Hi,

I need really help. I had to restart my computer without switching to
runlevel 6. He didnīt shut down
clearly. Now, SuSE 6.4 Linux doesnīt run anymore. It is loaded until the
"random number generator"
and then I always get the message (nearly) "neighbour overflow".
Then Linux switches to runlevel 2, but there are a lot of daemons which
werenīt started already.
Iīm getting no bash.

Can you help me ? I donīt want to update or to reinstall the system. Thereīs
a lot of work in it !

Thanx !

Neo

------------------------------

From: "Marc Beck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:09:41 +0200

> > Okay, but I thought that's what killall is doing. It searches the
process
> > table and kills all processes that are matching the search string.
> >
> > Is there a simple shell script that does this for me.
> >
> > cu Marc
>
> ps aux |awk '/[h]ttpd/ {system("kill "$2)}'

not really ... I'm not using apache. It's a simple perl-script run from
shell.

That one does it:
ps ax | awk '/perl/ {print $1,$5,$6}' | awk '/not_available/
{system("kill "$1)}'

Thanx a lot.

cu Marc

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:19:09 +1000
From: faeychyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 7.1 and gnome icons

Just conducted a trial install of RH 7.1
a custom install as with version 7 and the gnome
desktop appeared without icons.

A previous default workstation install was
ok.

Unfortunately I choose to select my own custom
install to include missing things like abiword,
man pages, gimp and vi extras and 100dpi fonts.

This approach seems to have screwed the gnome icons,
so I think I'll stick with version 7.0 and more
testing.

--
-
-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Webb)
Subject: Re: How to get the distribution name/version
Date: 2 Jun 2001 12:29:58 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:03:09 GMT, Lew Pitcher wrote:
>>>   I want to get the name/version of linux dist like
>>> Red Hat 7.1; Red Hat 6.2 ,,,,,
>>>   Is there a command for this?
>>>   Where is the information stored?
>>>
>>I'm not sure how scientific this is, but does the following work for
>>you?
>>(i.e., I don't know if this'll work on EVERY distribution):
>>
>>dmesg | head -1 | awk -F '(' '{print $4}' | cut -d ')' -f 1
>>
>>Make use of the first line of dmesg and look for the distribution name.
>
> Well, my dmesg buffer has rolled over, and the first line now looks like
>    78 S=0x00 I=2159 F=0x0000 T=103
>
> Anyway, I don't believe that the first line of dmesg (even in it's unrolled
> state) consistantly reports the _distribution_. It likely only reports the
> kernel version, and may report the distribution for certain distros only.
>
> AFAIK, there is no *consistant, generic* way to determine which distribution of
> Linux you are using, other than to ask the person who installed it. Even then,
> is Red Hat Linux 7.0 with an upgraded Apache server, ReiserFS root filesystem,
> and DB2/UDB _still_ "Red Hat 7.0"? My belief is that it is not, and I couldn't
> tell you what it should be called.

Fair point Lew.

I don't want to drag this out but...

How about using gcc? It has a various options which seems to give some
info:

[lee@colossus linux]$ gcc -dumpmachine
i586-mandrake-linux
[lee@colossus linux]$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Linux-Mandrake 8.0 2.96-0.48mdk)

Also, there's the /etc/issue option, but you can't guarantee where the
distribution name will be in it, nor if it hasn't been edited out
completely...

Lee.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Subject: Re: path environment
Date: 2 Jun 2001 12:40:12 GMT

02 Jun 2001 04:09 UTC, faeychyld did say to the dudes:
> Where is the complete path environment
> kept in RH.
>
> What you get with "echo $PATH" is more
> than is found in /etc/profile.

Check you home directory.

On this Debian box, ~/.bash_profile has extra PATH definitions.

--
Chiefy. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You have no mail because:
Mail server hit by UniSpammer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: sshd - slow initializing connection
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:45:12 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:19:52 -0400, inetquestion
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm running redhat 7.1 and was reading an article about different
>methods of starting sshd.  One problem I noticed is that the
>connection to the server is very slow.

>The article mentioned
>that this could be because the services is restarting evertime a
>connection is attemped instead of running all the time.

The "running all the time" would mean the target box has sshd daemon
running just waiting for a ssh connection.

A box would have to be maxed out to not be able to spin up
a ssh session pretty quick.

>Can anyone one offer an performance tuning to sshd or maybe
>some other areas I should look into.

what might be happing is it is taking a while to resolve node names.
Between my two boxes I have each other's box names and ip addresses in
each box's /etc/hosts file and I have DNS search local host first by
having localhost before my isp's domain in /etc/resolv.conf. Example:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
search localhost grlnd1.tx.home.com
nameserver x.x.x.x
nameserver x.x.x.x

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP ! SuSE 6.4 doesnt run anymore !
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:31:33 +0200

Neo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need really help. I had to restart my computer without switching to
> runlevel 6. He didnt shut down
> clearly. Now, SuSE 6.4 Linux doesnt run anymore. It is loaded until the
> "random number generator"
> and then I always get the message (nearly) "neighbour overflow".

Examine the machine. Either the /var or / file systems is full, or you
have some local corruption. Neighbour overflow is from NFS, surely?

> Then Linux switches to runlevel 2, but there are a lot of daemons which
> werent started already.
> Im getting no bash.

Betetr install it then! Not having bash would stop all your startup
scripts from working.

> Can you help me ? I dont want to update or to reinstall the system. Theres
> a lot of work in it !

Then you'd better put some work into debugging what's wrong! Go through
the startup sequence one file at a time. Use a rescue disk to examine
the system first, and fix your bash, if that's what's missing.

From: wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: running X applications as root after /bin/su
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:56:24 -0400

3FE wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:45:34 GMT, 3FE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> insisted:
>> On Mon, 28 May 2001 17:07:34 -0400, wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insisted:
>> >
>> > For some reason, I can't run X applications as root after doing /bin/su
>
> Before you su, do xhost +localhost.  Then after you su, do export
> DISPLAY=:0.0

root's DISPLAY is already :0.0, however, for some reason, doing
'xhost +localhost' doesn't help me. 'xhost -' however, helps, but I guess
it's bad to disable access control, so I enabled it again with 'xhost -'

Further help needed!

Wroot

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: themes.org down?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:48:32 -0500

S.C.H. wrote:

> Anyone know what happened to themes.org? They have been down for two
> days...
>
> TIA

They were hacked.   They are probably rebuilding their server and
increasing their security.

------------------------------

From: "Rune Jacobsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Weird problem - Eterm and rxvt use one minute to start up, xterm does not
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:53:14 +0200

"Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f3kfc$jhi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> What does 'strace Eterm' or 'strace rxvt' show you?  Particularly,
> what does it show during that minute?  The output can be a little hard to
> understand, but sometimes there are obvious clues.

Here are the last few lines of strace output before the minute wait:

select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL)        = 1 (in [3])
read(3, "\1w8\0\0\0\0\0\1\225\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 32) =
32
write(3, "\225\0\1\0", 4)               = 4
read(3, 0xbffffa74, 32)                 = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL)        = 1 (in [3])
read(3, "\1\0019\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\236\314Q\352"..., 32) =
32
write(3, "-\0\4\0\1\0@\1\4\0N\3727x14\225\1\3\0\1\0@\1\1\0\0\0", 28) = 28
read(3, 0xbffffa4c, 32)                 = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL

There's also quite a bit of the same before we get here - i.e. the resource
temp. unavailible stuff.
Now, I guess all I need to do is find out what resource suddenly becomes
availible after one minute of waiting. It shouldn't be RAM, since there's
around 40MB of that free when I try this.

Any further help greatly appreciated..

> > Now, seeing that this is a dual PIII-550MHz box, you'd think opening up
> > shell window wouldn't be so tough. It works great for everything else.
> You know, if you make the rest of us jealous, we won't want to
> help you.  :-)

Sorry, I'll behave. ;)

Thanks!

Rune Jacobsen

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: slooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:17:05 GMT

"Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> thank you for responding.
> which of these two names is a good example of a domain name.
> Linux
> or Linux.localdomain

the latter -- i think you have to have a dot somewhere.  i use
.axel.nom (i wanted to set up my own nomenclature) for all my boxen.

call your machine x.liverpool.fc if you like.

i don't know if .fc is a country code, but this list omits it
<URL:http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm>.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Subba Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Linux Video conferencing
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:37:53 GMT

I am looking for some information for setting up Video conferencing using my
Linux system. What devices are required for such setup? I do have USB ports
available. I am confused about WebCams and NetCams. Is there a difference
between these devices? Will this be streaming video? What software is
available to do the conferencing?

Any pointers and information is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to create .forward  file to redirect my email ...
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:24:28 GMT

sakthi vadivel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi!

> i want to clarify doubts with your e-mail group.i am a sys admin .we
> have just switched over to linux network from win.we are facing a lot
> of problems.i want to share my problems with other linux lovers.

>   we have hosted our website in C.A. based linux web server.we have
> UTILISED just 1 MB for our web site against 5MB space.we want to
> redirect our e-mail to our website.we have already one e-mail id in
> bplnet.we want to redirect that  e-mail box to our website.can i get
> any idea about this,.?

C.A. = Central America???

>  for ex i have to forward the mails which  are coming to
>                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                (our website name www.antarescorp.com)

A .forward is merely a file in your home directory with the email address
that you wish to forward. You could do this:
echo "user@hostname" > .forward

Or, edit the .forward using a text editor.

------------------------------

From: "Neil Meints" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.xxx,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,at.linux,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,es.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: FREE CD
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:53:53 GMT

Why post an ad where you have to buy junk software to get a free LM 8 disc
when you can download LM8 from the FTP site?

--
Neil Meints
Registered Linux User #216536

news:SNXR6.10723$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:58:00 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:19:52 -0400, inetquestion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running redhat 7.1 and was reading an article about different
>methods of starting sshd.  One problem I noticed is that the
>connection to the server is very slow.

Two things you might want to check:

  1) Try starting the client with a -4 to force it to use IPv4
     only.  Depending on how the client SW was built, it may be
     trying to look up an IPv6 address for the hostname.

  2) Make sure that reverse DNS lookups on the server are
     working correctly.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The entire CHINESE
                                  at               WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL TEAM all

------------------------------

From: "NG_lurker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to connect to internet in non-X
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:05:26 +0300

hello Jay and everyone,

"Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:jYNR6.59545$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Okay.  Sounds good what type of corruption do you see?   I would go first
> with only 8-bit 640 x 480 video mode the lowest common denominator then
try
> the 16-bit 800 x 600.  One try at a time.   When you ran Xconfigurator
> didn't it probe your system, offer a default setting, start X to verify
the
> settings and present you with a "can you see this message?" yes/no box?

when i say corruption i mean the display not giving out uniform resolution
(or something like that). after login as root (or even as non-root) im
brought to Gnome and a couple of windows open: tip of the day, root
reminder, etc. At this very point the corruption starts
especially when i click the horz/vert scrollbars. Same if i play around with
screensaver selection or ANY window i open. to refresh screen i switch
between windows. this is not much help to me since after some time it hits
back again. FYI, i dont have this problem in doze (98/2000). Also, the
corruption is not much when i switch to KDE desktop.

> Since you can't get X working and you have enough freespace, I suggested
> reinstalling X-windows using rpm -Fvh X*   which means use rpm (Redhat
> package manager) to -Freshen -verbose -hash mark all X* packages from your
> CD.  Freshen is like reinstall.   You can also reinstall your RH 7.1
>system on top of the existing system.
this one is a biggie i yet to do. im still learning my way into Linux/Unix
so kindly bear with me. I really would love to install RH 7.1 but dont have
it with me, only RH 7 and 6.2 cd's. FTP is definitely a no no since ISP cost
here
in Saudi is very expensive. I have to look elsewhere.

> So I would like to know more about the type of corruption you are getting.
> When you startx and it fails what errors do you see?  If you're getting
> X-windows but the fonts are off then you'll need to adjust the horizontal
> and vertical refresh rates for the monitor.
its not only the fonts but also the screen display as well. When you choose
generic monitor the presets are there built-in, no need to tinker. To adjust
horzontal/vertcal refresh rates this has to be custom setup. what should be
the adjustment, higher or lower than the monitor presets?

eri