From: "Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to connect to internet in non-X
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:21:53 GMT

"NG_lurker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hello Jay and everyone,
>
> when i say corruption i mean the display not giving out uniform resolution
> (or something like that). after login as root (or even as non-root) im
> brought to Gnome and a couple of windows open: tip of the day, root
> reminder, etc. At this very point the corruption starts
> especially when i click the horz/vert scrollbars. Same if i play around
with
> screensaver selection or ANY window i open. to refresh screen i switch
> between windows. this is not much help to me since after some time it hits
> back again. FYI, i dont have this problem in doze (98/2000). Also, the
> corruption is not much when i switch to KDE desktop.

Kind of blurry?  Sounds like the refresh rate since you do get Gnome and
KDE.
I have an Acer 76e, dark as hell, but in my Linux Xconfigurator I can use
custom setup for the monitor.   Before you set the X-window rate check your
monitor's user settings (P3) on my monitor.  Then try setting the refresh
rate 50-70  or 50-90 for customized monitor in Linux.

> this one is a biggie i yet to do. im still learning my way into Linux/Unix
> so kindly bear with me. I really would love to install RH 7.1 but dont
have
> it with me, only RH 7 and 6.2 cd's. FTP is definitely a no no since ISP
cost
> here
> in Saudi is very expensive. I have to look elsewhere.

And I thought you were in India.  You're running 7.0 correct? I'm running
6.2 and either one is a good release.  The rpm -Freshen is like
reinstallation of a package from the CD if the package is on your system.
There is a program "gnorpm" which is the graphical frontend for package
installer for Gnome.  Can't remember the KDE version but as root you can
start gnorpm from an xterm session in KDE.
Worse case if you don't have much setup in Linux you can do a complete
re-installation.

Also I thought I posted a message to you from Chris Uhring.
>>XFree4 driver     No match
>>does not make any sense.  See http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.3/savage.4.html
>>and then install XFree86-4.0.3 on your system.
>>Since there doesn't appear to be available any XFree86-4.0.3 update RPM's
>>for RH-7.0, you can do the install by downloading the tarballs and install
>>scripts from www.xfree86.org or one of its mirrors.  Get the installation
>>instructions first, print them out and then follow them carefully to
>>perform the installation.

He's saying that the S3_Savage4 is better supported in XFree86 version 4.0.3
and you would need to down load XFree86 4.0.2 and the XFree86 4.0.3 as a
XFree*.tar.gz from the www.xfree86.org website to your Linux box.   Then do
a bunch of  gzip -decompress X*, tar -untar X*, makefile configur X*,
makefile, makefile install X*  since Redhat only has XFree86 4.0.1.

> its not only the fonts but also the screen display as well. When you
choose
> generic monitor the presets are there built-in, no need to tinker. To
adjust
> horzontal/vertcal refresh rates this has to be custom setup. what should
be
> the adjustment, higher or lower than the monitor presets?

Before you set the X-window rate check your monitor's user settings (P3) on
my monitor.  Compare that to the Acer manual's recommendation or the
settings under Windows.  Then try setting the refresh rate 50-70  or 50-90
as a customized monitor in Linux.  You could edit the  /etc/X11/XF86Config
file and change the VertRefresh 50-90 or HorizSynch  31.5 but I think
Xconfigurator is safer.  Pick a safe mode 8-bit 800x600.

Or from the command line try to see your current X config, get help for
Xconfigurator and try  expert setting:

      #  X :0 -verbose -showconfig
(su)#  Xconfigurator --help | more
(su)#  Xconfigurator  --server S3 --vsynch 50-90 --hsynch 30-40

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (reader of news)
Subject: Re: Live rebuild of OpenSSL via ssh: dangerous?
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:28:56 GMT

I have rebuilt ssh itself,
reinstall, restart the sshd
over live ssh connections
without problems.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k
Subject: "invalid option" error while building gcc as a cross-compiler
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:43:28 -0000

Since the Debian install on my Quadra 610 is a bit poky, I figured I'd try
putting together an LFS (Linux From Scratch) system for it, optimized for
the 68040 instead of whatever optimization Debian uses.  I already have an
x86 LFS system running on a homebrew K6-III box, so I figured I'd use the
instructions in the CrossGCC FAQ to build up a 68K compiler and go from
there.

binutils-2.11 compiled with no problem, but gcc-2.95.3 bombs out when it
gets to SYSCALLS.c:

/home/salfter/gcc-m68k/build-gcc/gcc/xgcc -B/home/salfter/gcc-m68k/build-gc
c/gcc/ -B/usr/local/gcc-m68k/m68k-mac-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/gcc-m68k/
m68k-mac-linux-gnu/include -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC -O2 -march=i586 -fomit-
frame-pointer -I./include -I. -I../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc -I../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc
/config -I../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/../include -aux-info SYSCALLS.c.X -S -o tmp-
SYSCALLS.s SYSCALLS.c
cc1: Invalid option `arch=i586'
make[1]: *** [SYSCALLS.c.X] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/salfter/gcc-m68k/build-gcc/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

The following environment variables are set:

host    i586-pc-linux-gnu
target  m68k-mac-linux-gnu
prefix  /usr/local/gcc-m68k
i       /usr/local/gcc-m68k/bin
CFLAGS  -O2 -march=i586 -fomit-frame-pointer

Originally, CFLAGS included -march=k6 instead of -march=i586, as I usually
optimize binaries for the AMD processors that I run.  Leaving out -march=___
altogether lets the compile process go further, but eventually it conks out
again:

for name in _muldi3 _divdi3 _moddi3 _udivdi3 _umoddi3 _negdi2 _lshrdi3 _ash
ldi3 _ashrdi3 _ffsdi2 _udiv_w_sdiv _udivmoddi4 _cmpdi2 _ucmpdi2 _floatdidf
_floatdisf _fixunsdfsi _fixunssfsi _fixunsdfdi _fixdfdi _fixunssfdi _fixsfd
i _fixxfdi _fixunsxfdi _floatdixf _fixunsxfsi _fixtfdi _fixunstfdi _floatdi
tf __gcc_bcmp _varargs __dummy _eprintf _bb _shtab _clear_cache _trampoline
 __main _exit _ctors _pure; \
do \
  echo ${name}; \
  /home/salfter/gcc-m68k/build-gcc/gcc/xgcc -B/home/salfter/gcc-m68k/build-
gcc/gcc/ -B/usr/local/gcc-m68k/m68k-mac-linux-gnu/bin/ -I/usr/local/gcc-m68
k/m68k-mac-linux-gnu/include -O2  -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC     -O2 -fomit-f
rame-pointer -I./include  -fPIC -g1  -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED
  -I. -I../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc -I../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/config -I../../gcc-2.95
.3/gcc/../include -c -DL${name} \
       ../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  m68k-mac-linux-gnu-ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/libgcc2.c:41: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/libgcc2.c:42: unistd.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory /home/salfter/gcc-m68k/build-gcc/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

These files, of course, are in /usr/include, so why would it be complaining
about these files being missing?

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (remove Voyager's hull number for email address)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org

Subject: Re: sshd - slow initializing connection
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:08:39 GMT

Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I'm running redhat 7.1 and was reading an article about different
>> methods of starting sshd.  One problem I noticed is that the
>> connection to the server is very slow.  The article mentioned
>> that this could be because the services is restarting evertime a
>> connection is attemped instead of running all the time.
>
> Mostly those problems are due to wrong/missing DNS config, try
> connecting
> with IP, setup /etc/hosts on both machines and check /etc/nsswitch.conf
> for the right resolution order.

It won't help if the client's ip address is unresolvable for the server.

Make sure that the sshd doesn't do a rdns.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: "ivorybones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 7.1 and gnome icons
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:19:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "faeychyld"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It did it to me too. However, I noticed that the icons still appeared in
the Gnome menu. A little hunting led me to an icon file from which I
easily restored the missing icons on the desktop.  I don't know know why
this happens. but I would not forego the upgrade for this problem alone.
After the upgrade, I used the up2date utility, and upgraded some packages
even further.

One mess I did have was that the upgrade installed mozilla .7 on top of
mozilla .9. This killed mozilla until I deleted both and reinstalled .9.

Being a linux 'newbie', I consider all this to be part of the learning
curve. Go ahead and make the upgrade! As the saying goes 'no guts, no
glory'.

Don

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: weird entrys logged thru ipchains
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:28:26 GMT

That is one of the nodes @home uses to look for the servers you are
not supposed to be running. Crackers used to find open news servers
and spam the news groups. Also, @home was warned several times about
spam from their customers. They got off their duff and closed several
spammers down when the Usenet Death Penalty (UDP) was ticking down.

I added this to my iphains rules set, Does not log, does not reply.

OPS_SCAN1="24.0.0.203"
EXTERNAL_INTERFACE="eth1"

    ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE  -s $OPS_SCAN1 -j DENY

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:32:14 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: portmap

Ransom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is probably a very silly question, but I couldn't find any info
> yet. Here is my problem:
>
> I decided to tighten up security on my linux box and wanted to close
> port 111. Unfortunately I came across a strange problem: When I shut
> down portmap, sendmail, syslogd and some other services take a very
> long time to start. When the system is up and running and I try to
> login, Ithe same thing happens: After entering the password it
> takes a long time to log in. I don't have any rpc programs running and
> I don't connect to any rpc servers, so why is it a problem to stop
> portmap?
>
> I have
> kernel 2.4.4
> portmap 4.05
> redhat 6.0  with lots of programs upgraded
>
> Any info on this is greatly appreciated.
>
> Ransom

man 8 portmap

Explains portmap.

Some services use lo (localhost), even if you are not connected
(physical) to any network.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "ivorybones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FREE CD
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:29:20 GMT

In article <l_7S6.1587$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Neil Meints"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Or buy the thing from www.cheapbytes.com for just a few dollars and
postage. Other than the fact that it runs great, that's the nice thing
about this OS.. you can experiment and upgrade without making the richest
man on the planet even richer.

Don

------------------------------

From: Raviprasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Waah! Can't get  KDE2 working!
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:30:06 -0000

help!
i installed Kde2.0 on my RedHat 7.0 but everytime i try to start kde it
dies with the following error;
       xsetroot: unable to open display''
       xset: unable to open dispaly''' '
       ksplash: cannot connect to X server
       Error: Kunique application : can't determine Display. Aborting.
       ksmserver: Cannot connect to X server

I followed the following before installing Kde 2.0 rpms
--uninstalled kde 1.x
--uninstalled qt
--installed libmng rpms
--installed qt 2.2.1
--installed Kde2.0

I didnot get any dependancy problems. Yet Kde refuses to start. Has anyone
out there been through this? What should i do? help!!

thankyou for your time
ravi

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:41:00 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Vilmos Soti wrote:

> Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >> I'm running redhat 7.1 and was reading an article about different
> >> methods of starting sshd.  One problem I noticed is that the
> >> connection to the server is very slow.  The article mentioned
> >> that this could be because the services is restarting evertime a
> >> connection is attemped instead of running all the time.
> >
> > Mostly those problems are due to wrong/missing DNS config, try
> > connecting
> > with IP, setup /etc/hosts on both machines and check /etc/nsswitch.conf
                                 ^^^^

> > for the right resolution order.
>
> It won't help if the client's ip address is unresolvable for the server.

Case /etc/hosts are setup correct and /etc/nsswitch.conf contain a line
like:

hosts:          files dns

I can't see the problem?

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith Elder)
Subject: Onstream Di30 what is the catch?
Date: 2 Jun 2001 13:20:29 -0700

Can anyone tell me what the catch to getting this drive to work is?
According to the web sites there are only kernel patches for 2.2.14
and 2.2.16.  I am currently running 2.2.19.  Is support for this drive
not in this kernel by default?  According to /proc/ide/drivers the
ide-tape driver is 1.13.

I am running debian with a 2.2.19 kernel, can someone tell me what the
trick to getting this thing to work is?

Oh, and I don't have a /dev/ht0, how do I get one?

Thanks!

Keith

------------------------------

From: Mark Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Q: supporting Debian, FSF, EFF, etc.?
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:21:42 GMT

For years, I bought packaged distros from SuSE
and Caldera (spoiled!), but now I have been
enjoying getting code directly from Debian's
web and FTP servers.  What a great, great service!!

Is there a recommended yearly amount of money for
end users to donate for using Debian's servers, etc.?
I found the web site for Software in the Public Interest
(www.spi-inc.org), and sent a check for a few dollars
in Debian's name, but I was wondering how the finances
of the Debian project are. Is sending them $5 or $10
a year being way too cheap? (The value received is much
higher, but how much money does Debian need to stay
stable financially?)

I started thinking about supporting Debian, FSF, and EFF
more seriously this year because:

1. crash of dot coms (hey, I lost my full time job :-( )
removed a source of funding to support free software

2. Microsoft's awful new licensing prices and policies
(I need to boot W2000 for some consulting jobs, so I am
am stuck paying the Microsoft tax after W2000 and
Word 2000 are no longer up to date for servicing
Windows-based customers, and I need to upgrade; I am
hoping that my curent Windows setup will hold me
business-wise for several more years before I need to
upgrade, or loose business. Ideally, W2000 would be
the last version of Windows I would ever need!).

3. What happens if VA Linux goes out of business re: SourceForge?

4. Worrisome new laws in the US and Europe that affect online
freedoms; can groups like the EFF (www.eff.org) do enough
good?

Anyway, no one seems to talk much about donations to keep
free software sources funded.  I am just curious, for an
organization like Debian, if the average Debian user donates
$X a year, all expenses are met;  What is X?  Anyone have
have a rough idea how many people use each of the Linux distros?

-Mark

-- Mark Watson
-- Java consulting, Open Source and Content: www.markwatson.com

------------------------------

From: "Harry Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux distribution?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:18:40 -0500

Mandrake will let you do a Lin4Win install, and does ok.

Harry T.

=======================================
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Marc Schlensog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recover rm:ed files on vfat. Cry cry cry.
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:48:12 +0200

Eric wrote:

> > Yes, yet another 'how do I recover my files' posting. I know that this is
> > faq, but I didn't find the solution to my problem anywhere. So what have
> > done is that I in the root directory of one of my win partitions ( vfat )
> > wrote 'rm -rf *' as root user
>
> Great command heh :-)
>
> >. I have understod that recovering files in a
> > vfat should be easier than on a ext.
>
> I really don't know.
> Isn't there an undelete option from windows?
> (undel, recover, restore: I don't recall)
> Anyway, try asking in a windows newsgroup.
Hmmm.... nope, no undelete proggie anymore.
They got rid of it starting with DOS 7.0. They were probably
unable to figure out how to rewrite undelete so it would support
long filenames ;) Thus they "invented" the recycle bin...
Anyway, I don't see lots of chances to recover your data. Sorry

> > Yeah, yeah I know I should backup and use a 'rm script'.
>
> But you didn't.
> Everbody has to learn the hard way.
>
> Eric

And some ppl just don't want to learn it... I'm one of them. :-)=)

Marc

--
They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!