Linux-Misc Digest #58, Volume #28                 Fri, 8 Jun 01 07:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: sendmail POP3 question (Lamar Thomas)
  Re: newly exposed to linux server with 98 clients (scot key)
  Re: GROUP TAKEOVER IN PROGRESS (Wroot)
  Re: directory map command? (David)
  missing beep, RH7.1 (brandon chubb)
  Re: Hangs on "sendmail" before loading (Villy Kruse)
  Re: hardware autodetection (Gregory Bond)
  [ANN] Static error analyser Wasp 3.0 for Linux (Denis Perchine)
  Re: hardware autodetection ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Printing margins/alignment (Anthony Campbell)
  Re: Print to a PDF (Sebastien Stormacq)
  Re: gnu parted? (Joe Canon)
  Re: Setiathome ("jeff")
  Re: Internet probs (Pete Clements)
  rpm build only get one source (Alien Guest)
  Re: rpm build only get one source (Alien Guest)
  Re: can't umount /usr (busy?) (faeychyld)
  All your base are belong to us -- an explanation. (Richard Steiner)
  Re: rc.local file. (serafim)
  Re: rc.local file. (serafim)
  Re: WINE.CONF (Yvan Loranger)
  Re: hardware autodetection (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
  Re: Laptop umruesten (Raj Rijhwani)

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: sendmail POP3 question
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:12:35 GMT

J Sloan wrote:

> Lamar Thomas wrote:
>
> > I am running RH 7.1 and sendmail.  I have sendmail up and working and an
> > MX record in DNS with my ISP for my domain.  Anyone know how I now turn
> > my Linux box into a POP3 server?  Thanks for any help.
>
> enable pop3, again using any one of the elementary
> run level editors, or even the barebones "chkconfig"
> command.
>
> - assuming you said "yes" to imap during install.
>
> Red Hat includes pop servers in the imap server pkg.
>
> cu
>
> jjs

Hi all,

It looks like I have POP3 and IMAP4 working now.  I can use the following
command from the console of my Linux box and send myself an email:  #  "mail
-v
[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  I can then go over to a Windows 98 system using "Outlook

Express" and retrieve my mail via both POP3 and IMAP4.

However, I still can't send myself an email from outside my Linux box (i.e.
from my hotmail account)  The mail just never gets to me.  Any ideas?  Thanks
for
any help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (scot key)
Subject: Re: newly exposed to linux server with 98 clients
Date: 7 Jun 2001 22:23:04 -0700

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Dave Uhring writes:
> > That's a school he is at.  A "typing program" is most likely a tutorial.
>
> A typing tutorial with network admin/database capability?

That's it...exactly...  any ideas?

scot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wroot)
Crossposted-To: alt.drugs.pot,comp.lang.javascript,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python
Subject: Re: GROUP TAKEOVER IN PROGRESS
Date: 7 Jun 2001 22:40:35 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shawn Michael Taub) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> All your base are belong to us,

Where is this from? I keep seeing it everywhere. Must be a classic. Something
Pr. Nixon used to say, perhaps?

Wroot

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: directory map command?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:46:00 GMT

Michael wrote:

> can't find a command I once used to output my complete directory
> stucture to a file. Can anyone help?
>
> thanks for taking the time...
> Mike

Is the command "tree > save_to_file" what you are looking for?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.233% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.admin,alt.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brandon chubb)
Subject: missing beep, RH7.1
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:24:14 GMT

Has anyone had a problem with their keyboard bell gone missing when
upgrading to RH7.1?  This is on a work PC that just uses a keyboard
speaker, which would give me the ctrl-G bell before (using RH 6.2 or
RH 6.0).  I've tried starting and stopping the sound server, which probably
doesn't apply to this.  Using Gnome with Sawfish.  Any tips to get
it back?  (I've also turned on the sound through the session settings,
but it doesn't seem to help.)

-- brandon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Hangs on "sendmail" before loading
Date: 08 Jun 2001 06:57:13 GMT

On 06 Jun 2001 19:15:18 -0800, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Bruce Barbour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have RedHat 7.1 installed and it works perfectly, except that when
>>rebooting, it loads until "sendmail" and then hangs for nearly five
>>minutes before the "OK" and finishing loading and presenting the login.
>>Any suggestions?
>
>It is attempting a DNS lookup on your host name, and no doubt cannot
>find it or even a DNS server, hence it times out in about 4-5 minutes
>and then proceeds to finish booting up.
>
>Whatever sendmail thinks your system's name is, it should be in the
>/etc/hosts file (and /etc/host.conf should order the search to look
>in the /etc/hosts file first and use bind second).  Generally that
>works best if sendmail is told you are "localhost".

Actualy it is looking for a FQDN, that is Fully Qualified Domain Name,
or a name with multiple parts separated by periods.  That name realy
ought to be your poblic and officially registered domain name, but
sendmail won't check that part.

Some distributions make an alias  localhost.localdomain for localhost
so sendmail can start without complaints.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Gregory Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: hardware autodetection
Date: 08 Jun 2001 17:23:24 +1000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wroot) writes:

> How come Debian and FreeBSD do not autodetect hardware the way Windows, Mandrake
> and Redhat do? How am I supposed to know which cryptic kernel modules I should
> enable and with which parameters?

Becuase there is in general no way to do this that will boot and
detect with all possible combinations of hardware.  This is because
the probe for nonexistent device A may well freeze a system containing
device B.  The FreeBSD GENERIC kernel has very careful ordering of ISA
ethernet probes for exactly this reason.

And have you ever actually seen how badly this works in Windows?

------------------------------

From: Denis Perchine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ANN] Static error analyser Wasp 3.0 for Linux
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:03:06 +0700

SUBJECT

     The static error analyser Wasp 3.0 is released for Linux.

URL

      http://www.waspsoft.com/

WHAT IS NEW IN Wasp 3.0

  -  This is the first Wasp version for Linux.
     Previous Wasp versions were released for Windows 95/NT, OS/2,
     and SunSparc for Java and Modula-2 programs.

  -  Wasp 3.0 for Java is an order of magnitude faster
     than previous Wasp version 2.11.
     Memory consumption reduced by a factor of 5.

  -  User interface simplified.
     Wasp manual considerably extended and modified.

  -  Wasp strategy for big programs developed.

  -  Wasp now can use memory above 930Mb limit (or brk limit)

  -  Support for files more than 2Gb added for kernels which support
     LFS interface (2.3.x, 2.4.x, 2.2.x with LFS patches, SuSE,
     RedHat Enterprise Edition).

WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT

     Wasp 3.0 for Windows 98/NT/2000 will be released shortly.

DESCRIPTION

  The static error checker Wasp employs powerful data flow analysis
to detect subtle run-time errors and weak points in Java, Modula-2,
and Oberon-2 programs.

  Some types of erroneous situations that Wasp is able to detect
in Java programs are listed below:
   -  usage of an uninitialised variable
   -  null pointer exception
   -  assignment of a variable whose value is never used
   -  impermissible cast of variable value of reference type
   -  unreachable branches in the if and switch statements and
        in conditional expressions
   -  unreachable catch clauses
   -  method has no normal completion
   -  array index is out of bounds
   -  overflow (underflow) in arithmetic operators
   -  division by zero
   -  for or while statement repeats zero times
   -  etc.

   For more information, please visit Wasp Home Page at:

         http://www.waspsoft.com/

   Lite version of Wasp 3.0 may be downloaded.

   Wasp team
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   AcademSoft
   Novosibirsk, Russia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:15:42 +0000 (UTC)

Wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi

> How come Debian and FreeBSD do not autodetect hardware the way Windows, Mandrake
> and Redhat do? How am I supposed to know which cryptic kernel modules I should
> enable and with which parameters?

This is false. I dont know Debian, but FreeBSD autodetects hardware.
If i do ifconfig xl0 IP number, the xl driver will be loaded automatically.
Without having to edit an /etc/module.conf.
Redhat uses a special program kudzu which probes hardware at boot and
writes the modules.conf file. This program i think can be compiled on Debian
and used to the same goal.
But not knowing you have a 3Com card in your box is plain stupid. As for
Windows, i can say you i have spent hours to make it use a 3com card.
So saying that their autodetection is the best thing in the world is
also plain false.

--
Michel Talon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Campbell)
Subject: Re: Printing margins/alignment
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:31:36 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:14:28 -0500, Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Gavin McCord wrote:
>
>> The page size on my Epson Stylus 500 seems to be off. I'm not entirely
>> sure whether it's just the page offset, the margins, or the scale of the
>> page.
>>
>> I'm using the STP driver with apsfilter and a2ps. I've tried
>> the apsfilter test page and it overlaps slightly, printing onto
>> two pages. I've calculated offsets using the instructions
>> provided and have added them to the /etc/apsfilter/apsfilterrc
>> file,  though they don't seem to be making a difference.
>>
>> I've also tried the Ghostscript align.ps file, but that only prints
>> out as a text file. (Other PS files, I've created with LaTeX print
>> out fine, except for the margins being off, the problem I'm
>> trying to fix.)
>>
>> So, is there anything else I can use to try and fix my page margins/
>> alignment, whatever?
>>

> You might want to edit /etc/apsfilter/apsfilterrc and change your
> postscript conversion utility from a2ps to enscript.  And make sure that
> /etc/a2ps.cfg and /etc/enscript.cfg have been set for your paper size.

If you are printing via a2ps, have a look at your a2psrc file. I needed
to alter the entry for Medium: A4. I decreased the height from the
default 842 to 828. This corrected the tendency for pages to print too
large.

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

"Orthodoxy is my doxy, heterodoxy is another man's doxy."
                                                  [William Warburton]

------------------------------

From: Sebastien Stormacq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Print to a PDF
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:04:41 +0200

ps2pdf is a great tool to convert PS files to PDF.
What we would like to have is printer definition in /etc/printcap that
"prints to PDF", i.e. which use a filter that converts the data on the
fly to PDF and save it somewhere on your disk, much like the PDF Writer
Windows printer driver.

Example of usage :

lpr myfile.ps -PPDFWriter

creates myfile.pdf in a special dir

I think this should be possible using the filter capabilities of lpd
(if:...) and the gs program

Seb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Canon)
Subject: Re: gnu parted?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:11:32 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:34:06, F. Heitkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone used GNU parted on Linux?

Yes.

> I downloaded it and it looks fairly
> cryptic to use.  Is there a GUI
> frontend somewhere, preferably ncurses
> based?

Not that I know of.

> Is there any example sessions posted
> somewhere?

Their web site. Read it and re-read it. And then read it again. :-)

It worked well for me - and allowed me to resize and re-order the partitions
on my disk. I also got back several megabytes that fdisk had previously lost.

--
Joe Canon

------------------------------

From: "jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setiathome
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:48:56 GMT

If you're currently in that same directory as the application you are trying
to execute
you need to execute your command preceded by a ./
e.g.
./xsetiathome

This is because your current directory  . is not in your path and this is a
good thing...
so you need to specify the path  ./$program

the . indicates your current dir.

HTH
cheers

FYI
I believe that you first need to start setiathome first with the -graphics
option, then launch xsetiathome.
./setiathome -graphics
./xsetiathome

You will probably want to background the setiathome process either by adding
a & to the end
of your command string or by typing  ^z  (crtl z)
followed by   bg

"Thomas Fink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:KhrS6.2526$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Newbie needs help!
> I need help installing  Setiathome using Redhat 7.1  This is what I've
done.
> cp setiathome-3.03.i686-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1.tar to usr/local/src.
Next

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Clements)
Subject: Re: Internet probs
Date: 8 Jun 2001 02:50:13 -0700

Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Pete Clements wrote:
>
> > Okay, i have set the internet up. I use kppp to dial up. It dials and
> > connects to my ISP all ok. But i cannot ping/browse ot telnet
> > anything. It does not send or recieve data at all. Is this permissions
> > or config or what? Not even root can browse or anything. I have added
> > myself to a few groups that i thought may make a difference but
> > nothing!
> >
> > Many thanks for any help.
> >
> > Pete
> >

> You need to set up /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> nameserver 111.222.333.444
> nameserver 111.222.333.445
> search  your.isps.domain
>
> Get the nameserver addresses from your ISP.  While you are at it, get his
> gateway address also to put into the kppp config (if it still needs it,
> don't use ppp myself - got a cable modem).

Yeah, i have done that too and still no joy! kppp in kde2 has an
option to discover the DNS's as well (tried that too!)
Any other ideas??

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alien Guest)
Subject: rpm build only get one source
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:29:17 GMT

I am now to linux.

I am writing an installer (rpm). Follow the www.rpm.org/how-to, I have
three sourced in the spec:

Source0: some.tar
Source1: another.tar
Source2: last.tar

all three .tars are in the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/

however, when run "rpm -ba myspec.spec", only the source0 gets untared
to the BUILD dir.

I have read the doc, it seems very simple, and there is no need (or
just can not) specify how many sources I need.

I even tried to specify BuildRoot.

Any suggesion may help.

Thanks in advance.

-Alien

-Alien

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alien Guest)
Subject: Re: rpm build only get one source
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:32:56 GMT

And I am usingRedHat 6.2 with rpm 3.05

-Alien

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 20:36:10 +1000
From: faeychyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't umount /usr (busy?)

Raj Rijhwani wrote:

> On Wednesday, in article <9fkq09$n42$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Eric" wrote:
>
> > > Yesterday I was working on a Linux server (formerly RedHat 6.2 but
> > > with new kernel) to update a Web Site that is hosted there, then I
> > > decided to update the kernel (since I was at it).
>
> > > After recompilation I give the "reboot" command...then the system
> > > complained that he can't umount /usr because it was "busy" (??!!).
> > > Using fuser seems that nobody is using it but the kernel
> > > (/usr root kernel mount /usr).
>
> > I don't know fuser, but doesn't lsof show anything either?
>
> fuser provides alist of the individual processes actively using the file
> addressed.  However, if that file is actually a directory, it doesn't
> necessarily show the usage of below that point.
> --
> Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
> http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/    |  "Lieutenant Green:  Launch all Angels!"

If you command line is sitting on
the dir in question , it's busy.

I had trouble umounting a drive recently
kept getting a" device busy " message,
becaused I had "cd'ed" too the drive to read
files and then tried to umount it fron there. -an idiot!! :-)
--
-
-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: alt.drugs.pot,comp.lang.javascript,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python
Subject: All your base are belong to us -- an explanation.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:51:47 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wroot) spake unto us, saying:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shawn Michael Taub) wrote
>
>> All your base are belong to us,
>
>Where is this from? I keep seeing it everywhere. Must be a classic.
>Something Pr. Nixon used to say, perhaps?

It's a line from a poorly translated game (ZeroWing) that was a
standing joke on some of the Starsiege:Tribes forums a while back.
Seems it took on a life of its own, and someone created a whole pile of
fake photos that showed the phrase in all sorts of interested contexts.

A web site outlining some of the history is here:

  http://hubert.retrogames.com/article.php?sid=1

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Eden Prairie, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: serafim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: rc.local file.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:33:11 +0200

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On 07 Jun 2001 21:09:10 +0300, Markku Kolkka
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Blah, blah ...

Why don't you and Markku have a personal letter exchange on the subject?

/Serafim

------------------------------

From: serafim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:34:23 +0200

Steve Martin wrote:

> serafim wrote:
>
> > Quite common is to add your own module loading commands just befor the
> > end
> > of rc.local.
>
> You might also put your desired module loading commands into a file
> called "rc.modules"; this file is executed (if present) by rc.sysinit.

Well, well ... I didn't know. Thanks - your suggestion is neater.
You never stop learning ...

/Serafim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: WINE.CONF
Date: 8 Jun 2001 11:01:04 GMT

Pete Clements ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Can someone post/email me a copy of thier wine.conf file as
> mine seems to be blank and i ame not brave enough to code it myself
> from the man pages. I have tried re-installing the latest ver of
> wine and it stills seems not to put anything in that file.

do you mean .winerc ?

--
Merci........Yvan          Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
                               http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:03:00 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gregory Bond:

[Snip...]

>the probe for nonexistent device A may well freeze a system containing
>device B.

Recently, I put SuSE 7.1 on a Dell Latitude with Neomagic nm256 sound
and had it freeze during boot so badly, I literally had to remove the
battery to reboot. Trolling around on Google immediately found plenty
of references from Alan Cox and others that there is apparently not a
lot of enthusiasm from Neomagic to help "offbeat" installs like Linux
from gitgo. Add to that, there seems to be three different microcodes
for nm256, and it's a wonder it works on any Latitude Linux at all.

This is NOT to say SuSE isn't extremely good about autodetection, and
its X setup is astonishingly good, IMO. Just that, as noted, it's not
reasonable to expect every combination of every piece of gear from an
often reluctantly supportive commercial environment to be coded, much
less tested, by a group of (largely) volunteer developers. They do it
well, but it's virtually impossible to cover all the bases, even with
a totally commercial development process like Windows (as noted).

[Snip...]

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Subject: Re: Laptop umruesten
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:45:11 +0100 (BST)

On Tuesday, in article <9fjbsj$63h$00$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Dennis" wrote:

> Ich habe hier ein etwas groesseres Problem. Ich habe vor kurzem einen alten
> Laptop (i386, 400 MB Harddisk, 66 Mhz) geschenkt bekommen. Als
> Betriebssystem ist Windows 3.1 installiert. Es ist nur ein 3,5 Zoll
> Disketten-Laufwerk vorhanden, kein CD-Rom Laufwerk.

You'll have to excuse me answering in English.  I understand the
German (just about), but could not possibly write a useful answer.

If I understand you correctly, you have a 66MHz 80386 system, with
3.5" floppy but no CDROM, operating under Windows 3.1.  You want to
load an internet capable version of Linux.

My suggestion is that you connect the machine serially to another
which is already internet capable or fitted with a CDROM drive,
and transfer an entire install set (overnight?) by Zmodem.