I'm not really up on some of this, and my memory isn't great, but a legal
expert on computer privacy and freedom from the University of Ottawa named
Michael Geist has been blogging about current government bills being
proposed or put into place by the Canadian Government, one of the laws or
bills was about making big companies like google and facebook start paying
money to Canadian News organizations for sharing Canadian News links, I
think maybe this is a little bit like the group 'openmedia dot ca' might
have described about a European law getting to place that they phrased as a
'link tax'.  Although the idea is supposedly to support Canadian News
media, which is starting to lose a lot of money to social media (and those
who control it), I think there is a comment I saw of Michael Geist's where
he mentions that the changes could affects 'all users', and not just (if I
am remembering the post correctly) news media, ie big tech might start
supposedly having to pay regular users for sharing links or alternately
blocking all of their link sharing so as not to have to pay, and or regular
users who share news links, would they have to pay the news media because
they shared their links?  I'm probably getting a lot of this wrong, I think
there is better info about some of this available online from people who
have looked at it...

Also, there was a court injunction (that now has a stay from another court)
against the USA Biden Administration for censoring American's (and possibly
other peoples', as well) social media posts on many issues, election
issues, fakzine issues, climate change, Hunter Biden's laptop emails, so
like ongoing legal and court issues, etc that were factually true, so the
injunction had been that the administration couldn't contact the big tech
companies that were doing the censoring, I noticed some censoring started
to decrease for awhile, or become more hidden, so Matt Taibbi has talked
about some of this in congressional or something hearings in the USA,
called 'the twitter files', documents exposed about usa gov ordering
twitter to censor certain things. RFK jr, who is running for president of
the usa for 2024, has also started a lawsuit againt the usa gov for
censoring him, and there were 12 people known as the 'disinformation dozen'
who were cited by the biden information and some of the groups who were
'managing information' as sources for a lot of the 'supposed'
disinformation about fakzines, one of them was someone named J0seph
M3rc0la, who at one point had his bank accounts frozen by a bank he's been
with for something like 20 years, as well as other execs in his business
and family members (morgan chase bank), and he has recently had those bank
accounts 'closed' (so I might be confusing some information) at any rate
yeah so banks accounts were closed with no reason given on the sudden,
other alternative media groups, some of who were called 'foreign
disinformation agents', were having their funding cut off by usa interests,
sometimes based on supposed embargoes of various countries that were paying
journalists for their media, so disclosures of corruption by journalists,
somewhat like julian assange type wikileaks disclosures, essentially were
getting defunded, like when wikileaks was having paypal and other
transactions blocked by those companies, etc, including for trying to pay
for legal fees for court cases, etc. Some of the information the
'disinformation dozen' were sharing has been proven to be true, and other
groups, like the british medical journal, also made open statements and
comments, like to facebook, about some of their journal article posts being
called disinformation unfairly, without any accountability by the social
media groups doing the censoring, etc, so things that were considered
widely accepted, peer reviewed, etc, that were told to be censored got
censored even though it was blocking true and important information, the
argument is that if the tech governments and social media 'did it on their
own', they are not 'required' to give 'free speech' on their platforms, and
so supposedly the only reason there is even a free speech/ censorship
debate for this kind of abusive stuff happening, is supposedly because in
some cases, the usa gov or other governments (eu has a law in place and was
warning / checking with elon musk, would twitter respect their laws of
blocking certain things, and Elon Musk said twitter would obey the law,
etc, although some countries have talked about blocking some social media
companies completely if they do not 'respect' their 'laws' about 'unallowed
posts/information').

Has anyone else been following any of this? The impacts of the Julian
Assange case, for doing journalism, could impact journalists worldwide,
criminalizing them (and allowing them to be like sent to the usa or other
countries for posting 'defense secrets' that expose crimes of those
countries, and basically put them in jail and try them for it, and it is
possible this could be done to include anyone who shares any information,
blogging etc, as 'criminal journalists', to be taken to said countries for
exposing crimes of the powerful, and then put in jail for it, etc.

So yeah, is this something anyone else has been looking into or would want
to discuss or anything? Is this online meeting stuff, or people would
prefer to do in person, or in person and everyone puts their cellphones in
a faraday cage... LOL eheheh anyways.

I guess I will see if this email goes through to the list.

Michael Goguen