As for Bill C-18 (the first part of Michael's email), this is a good basic guide to the implications of the newly-passed but not yet implemented legislation. It includes criticism from Michael Geist:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-bill-c18-online-news-law-explained/

See also https://www.michaelgeist.ca/2023/02/billc18reality/
Geist argues instead for "a fund model with mandated contributions that would support actual journalism without getting into issues such link payments or copyright law."

It's very clear that Google, Meta, etc. have taken over most of what used to be newspaper/TV advertising, especially since 2010. The drop in ad revenue looks like it's going over a cliff.

It's also clear that the online model is simply better for classified ads than in print: cheaper, easier to search, more up-to-date. Also more possible to scam, of course. There's also more competition online in this area. I would guess that newspapers are never going to get this revenue (and it was substantial) back except for niche services like obituaries.

But in terms of alternatives to newspaper display ads or TV ads, I suspect that the "social media" companies are not providing what they promise. How many of us block all online ads? How many of us have got sick & tired of all the blether and mostly dropped out of Meta or X or Instagram? The social companies provide counts of hits and click-throughs, but how accurate are they?

Newspapers and TV stations are at a disadvantage because they can't provide per-ad counts - regardless of the ad effectiveness.

In any case, this bill is not likely to help community newspapers -- only the big chains + those media regulated by the CRTC.

Given that we're losing substantial news coverage, especially at the local level, which actually affects democracy and your ability to know what's going on as a citizen, I think it's important that more money does flow to media outlets specifically for news/arts coverage from Google/Meta etc. I would tend to agree with Geist that C-18 might not be the most effective way.

But what would be even more effective is for more governments to stop advertising on "social", as the federal government recently has, and divert that money to Canadian media. Unfortunately, Ottawa City Council recently voted down a motion to do that -- the city spends 20 percent of its ad budget on "social".

Alayne