Steve Mynott wrote:

> Dave Hodgkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [..]
>
> > How in gods name do Sun get away with charging so much for stuff?
>
> Because they can and they have a brand people trust like IBM or
> Microsoft.  In fact you can buy far cheaper Sun clones from companies
> like Transtec but the Sun name tends (rather irrationally) to carry
> more weight in some circles (eg. telcos, ISP and City).  Many people
> use clones internally but Sun kit for the stuff customers see.
>
> > We've erm, "acquired" an enterprise 420. this box has 2 CPUs, 4G or
> > RAM and about 80G of disk. For the same money I could build a
> > clutster of what, 30 linux boxes? Don't tell me programmer time has
> > got that expensive? Or that thinking about what you're doing stopped
> > happening?  If it's good enough for Google...
>
> You can't really compare Suns with standard PCs because they have
> numerous advantages still -- 64 bit archecture, faster bus, SCSI
> (although some use IDE now).  It's still expensive to get PCs in 1U
> cases and you can fit a lot of Netra T1s in a 19" rack.  Although for
> desktop use the framebuffers rarely have enough colours to be useable.
>
> I suspect things like SMP probably still work better.  And if I were
> on call supporting a server I would probably still trust a Sparc
> running Solaris over some dodgy PC desktop with Redhat stuck on it by
> a hobbyist who has never used another UNIX.

Cutting -

Althought I agree with the sentiment that a Sparc box will probably be
more reliable than a generic PC.  However

s /some dodgy PC desktop with Redhat stuck on it by a hobbyist who has
never used another UNIX/inexperienced/;

Lets not compare inexperience with anyparticular flavour of *nix.

Greg

Who started on Redhat along time ago, and has since used and initially
disliked Solaris/Sun OS, but has since softened as is happy to work on
any *nix.