On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:35:45AM +0000, Steve Mynott wrote:
> I suspect things like SMP probably still work better.  And if I were
> on call supporting a server I would probably still trust a Sparc
> running Solaris over some dodgy PC desktop with Redhat stuck on it by
> a hobbyist who has never used another UNIX.

Can't we compare something vaguely equivalent here instead?

I personally would have just as little faith in Solaris run by someone
who didn't know what they were doing as I would in Redhat run by
someone who didn't know what they were doing.

How about a decently built rack mount PC running Debian[1], by
someone who actually knows how to setup that particular OS decently,
as compared with a Sun box running Solaris setup by someone good
with solaris?

(And, myself, I'd recommend the PC for some situations, and the Solaris box
for others).

My main problem with the PC architecture is that you can do a lot by carefully
picking a good manufacturer, but it's still fundamentally not as solid and
consistent as sun stuff, IMHO.

I imagine you could get a pc service contract on the same level as
Sun do, but I have no experience in the area. Has anyone got any experience
paying vast amounts of money for PC support? did you get much for your
money?

Michael

[1] OS changed on the grounds I feel that Redhat ships something more
optimised towards desktop use, whereas I feel Debian and Solaris are both
more suited for servers.