On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:39:11PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 06:30:24PM +0200, Philip Newton wrote:
> > Simon Wilcox wrote:
> > > I avoided HTML::Embperl, HTML::Mason & Apache::ASP because they all
> > > embed perl into the template which is a Bad Thing (tm).
> > Why is that so evil?
> > I'm willing to be enlightened here.
>
> Mainly maintainability. In the same way as it's evil to mix two types of
> language - Perl and SQL, although people seem to be a lot more prepared
> to do this :-(
>
> The point is that if you are embedding perl, there are too many places
> that things can be changed. It is possible to write embedded perl templates
> well, but a lot more difficult than if they are separated out.

Most of the Java thingies that I've looked at start talking about MVC at
this point as a good solution to the problem.  But I don't know anything
about that, and I would love somebody to explain it to me in nice
perlisms.

I'd love to have a decent solution to keeping lots of code out of the
HTML files.  At the moment, I'm thinking that it might just be simplest
to move things over to AxKit taglibs...

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |