I agree totally with Chris on these points. Furthermore, the choices that
operators will have are with the flooding algorithms. We need work on the
generalized signaling in order to allow the algorithm work to proceed.

Thanks,
Acee

On 2/4/19, 8:21 AM, "Lsr on behalf of Christian Hopps" <lsr-boun...@ietf.org
on behalf of cho...@chopps.org> wrote:

    Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn> writes:

    > Hi, Christian:
    >
    > Based on your information, it is more fair to adopt these two drafts as
WG documents at the same time. The reasons are the followings:
    > 1. The centralized and distributed modes don’t conflict with each other.
Anyone can contribute their thoughts on them at their interests.

    No we do not adopt 2 documents solving the same relatively simple problem
(signaling, primarily for centralized mode), we adopt one and incorporate any
improvements needed, this isn't that hard a problem and we certainly don't need
multiple solutions.

    Work on algorithms *is* a hard problem and can and should continue to be
done in parallel with no conflict.

    > 2. They are both aiming to solve the same problem, which can give the
operators more choices once they have been standardized.

    There's literally *no* reason to do this. We need to do our jobs as a WG
and produce a single standard for signaling.

    > 3. The technique disputes between these two drafts are undergoing on the
mailing list. If they are not well solved, we still need to discuss them after
the adoption. It’s too hurry to make the adoption conclusion at current time.

    We've had a *YEAR* of multiple author documents, we're not hurrying at all,
it's time to move forward.

    Thanks,
    Chris.

    > Aijun Wang
    > China Telecom
    >
    >> 在 2019年2月1日,20:25,Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org> 写道:
    >>

    >> Summary of where we are at with dynamic flooding reduction:
    >>
    >> - We have a well written original work that came first and described the
problems as well as a TLVs to allow for a centralized solution
(draft-li-dyanmic-flooding). We do not need to standardize the centralized
algorithm.

    >> - A small change to this work allowed for distributed algorithms and for
outside work on distributed algorithms to continue in parallel.

    >> - We have another original work that started primarily as a distributed
algorithm
    >>  (draft-cc-ospf-flooding-reduction)
    >>
    >> - Finally we also have:
    >>  - Cross-pollination of ideas.
    >>  - Failed attempts at merging.
    >>  - An authors list "Arms-Race".
    >>
    >> Moving forward:
    >>
    >> - During IETF 103 I proposed we have no conflict if we:
    >>
    >>  1) adopt draft-li-lsr-dyanmic-flooding as the base WG document.
    >>  2) have authors of draft-cc-lsr-flooding-reduction work on a
distributed algorithm as they started with.

    >> - Acee agreed during the meeting (as chair) that this was the best way
forward. We had some agreement form the floor as well.

    >> - Any good ideas regarding the distribution of a centralized topology
can be debated and added (with appropriate attribution) to the base document
after we adopt one.

    >> - This is what happens when we adopt a document as WG work, we work on
it.

    >> - The original authors of the distributed solution can continue to work
on their distributed algorithm in a separate document which would also need
standardization.

    >> Does anyone see a serious problem with this path forward?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Chris & Acee.
    >> LSR Chairs.
    >>
    >> Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org> writes:
    >>
    >>> We've had the authors of the individual conflicting drafts take a shot
at merging their work.

    >>>   This has failed.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the full history (which I also summarized during IETF103 as
well). I will send a second email discussing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmT4ytMn4w&list=PLC86T-6ZTP5j_HaBNdfPbgxGIp22cnaWS
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/minutes-101-lsr-00