Well, wouldn't this mean that every time we see a painting of an instrument
with strings, we would have to consider one more stringing option, instead of
just gut or wound? It says something quite important, that metal strings on
instruments existed. Now, in the light of this, interpretation of later sources
concerning wound strings changes. Hundreds of years of different metals, and
now we hear about silver on gut from a private correspondence (Goretzky) and an
advertisement (Playford), which may have not appeared in Playford's book had an
entry not been made; it doesn't appear in later editions of Playford reprinted
into the 18th century. It doesn't appear in Mace either, I think. Sounds to me
like indifference to new technology, but is it really completely new
considering metals have been around for such a long time?

Shaun Ng