A quick addition to my earlier note. When I taught at the university I
   now and then was confronted with students who would not agree to my
   fundamental views, or even had an attitude toward science which I
   considered superficial and ill-educated. Obviously I tended to
   consider my own decade-long efforts a guarantee that I was certainly
   right and these students wrong. So my attitude towards the problem was
   "These guys are not so intelligent and dedicated as it should be, and
   therefore I will not work with them" rather than "These guys would not
   follow my way, and therefore I am angry." In any case, a dismissive
   attitude against some students would certainly send a signal to all
   students to behave obediently in order to please me. Bad thing of
   course, as my intention was to stimulate own thinking and creativity
   thus doubting and contradicting the teacher should be encouraged and
   even embraced rather than implicitly forbidden. So  I had to educate
   myself to always take the student seriously, even if I think he or she
   is not worth the trouble. You can always ask the student why he or she
   holds a certain view or act a certain way and learn from it or/and
   explain your own view in a friendly manner.

   I think Segovia had dedicated so much genius and effort into his views
   on music, interpretations, fingerings etc. that he was unable to
   imagine that a student could have done better, or simply could have
   done what is best for him at that point in his or her development. Some
   teachers think, students should follow them first then develop their
   own ideas, while others consider developing the students own mind so
   important that they should dare to think and get better in this over
   time - you have to start after all, allow yourself and be allowed to
   make errors of course - no need to be perfect from the beginning, and
   no justification to be looked upon for own thinking and being gratified
   for obedience. To support and encourage the students here even if it
   leads to that they may contradict you is certainly one of the great
   challenges for a teacher.

   Best
   Franz

   Dr. Franz Mechsner