Interesting mail, Tristan.
   While many of us (including me) would like to see the lute flourish in
   the world of modern classical music, maybe its best chance is actually
   in more popular types of music.
   I think a few factors might block that though:
   1. Obscurity: Sterling Price gave an anecdote in one of his videos (If
   I recall correctly), where he told someone he plays the lute, and that
   fellow thought he was referring to the flute. Yes, many people don't
   know what is a lute or don't know that it's still played today.
   2. Price: Like you mentioned, not everyone can even afford (or want to
   buy) Luth Dore lutes, but most would stay clear of overpriced Pakistani
   lutes. Something like Yamaha guitars; cheap but playable enough, would
   do wonders to the lute world.
   3. Available repertoire, which lacks two things: popularity of the old
   music and modern popular music. If Taylor Swift (for example) suddenly
   started playing the lute on stage and had songs for it, we would
   definitely see a large influx of new players. Having intabulations of
   popular music to the lute is not enough, it's also important to bring
   the instrument out of obscurity.
   The lute does have a lot of advantages such as the easy systems of
   French and Italian tablature. The availability of a lot of cool (but
   obscure) repertoire. Its portability and its sweet, delicate and warm
   tone more suitable to the human voice than the guitar (in my opinion).
   I'm not sure if all these are enough to tackle the above problems.
   On Dec 23, 2017 02:08, "Tristan von Neumann"