Lars> We have three options on when to extract language strings from
Lars> the .ldf files: 1. static (we extract and distribute with lyx)
Lars> 2. at configure time. 3. live from a running LyX.

Lars> These are no listed in my reverse prefered order. If we could
Lars> have a nice automatic-interface to 3. that would imho be nicest,
Lars> 2. is also almost equally nice and 1. should not be considered
Lars> at all.

I think 2 is the simplest, since having latex do the parsing is safer.

Lars> Does \^ have special meaning in portugues? Or is it the regular
Lars> accent that insetlatexaccent is able to handle?

So, what about:
  \def\refname{%
    {\cyr \CYRS\CYRp\CYRi\CYRs\CYRo\CYRk\space
      \CYRl\CYRi\CYRt\CYRe\CYRr\CYRa\CYRt\CYRu\CYRr\CYRy}}%

[I'll let you guess where this one came from]