Lars> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: | I
Lars> mean that a user cannot, for example, put his own translation of
Lars> | menus in his local directory and have LyX use it.

Lars> Why not?

Because po files cannot be used like that. They are hardcoded to live
in /foo/share/locale/... So people who do not have root access and
want to develop their own translation cannot do that easily. Also, I
think it would be good to be able to distribute a msword menu layout
(complete with french translation, because I am french and I can do
it) and that people are able to use it without patching lyx. That's
what people can do now when adding a new textclass, and I think it is good.

And what about bind files translation? Do you plan to use gettext too?

The idea I had is the following: we could separate all language
specific stuff in their own archive, like

lib/layout/fr_stdsections.inc
lib/doc/fr_Intro.lyx
lib/ui/fr_default.ui  (this is something I'd like to introduce later
                       to define both menus and toolbars)
lib/bind/fr_cua.bind
po/fr.po              (not sure about this one)

This way, each translation team would be responsible for managing
*all* translations on their own.

Then one could do
tar zxvf lyx-1.1.2.tar.gz
cd lyx-1.1.2
tar zxvf lyx-fr-1.1.2.tar.gz (I think we should not have a lyx-1.1.2
                              prefix in the i18n tar files so that
                              they needn't be updated at each version)
./configure
make

Instead of using this fr_ convention on files, we could also put
everything in a different directory (lib/fr/...).

The problem I see with using gettext everywhere is that we have to
resolve ambiguities; I do not know whether they exist right now, but I
am sure we will eventually come to cases where we want different
translations for a given string, and the solution will necessarily be
ugly. This is the major gettext limitation as far as I am concerned.