> I am beginning to agree with Jean-Marc that gettext is unable to
> handle this case. (a gettext written for C++ using the C++ notion of
> locale would work)

Yes, gettext will have a hard time to handle this.  We need to implement
our own translation facility to do this right...

> Using gettext would be just a shorterm fix, and it would only be
> correct when the locale lang is equal to the doc lang.

...and therefore, we can't expect that we will have that in the shortterm.
So, I think we should include the shortterm fix until we have the
long term solution.

> The Right Solution would to have a gettext that was written for C++'s
> locale support (able to use several locales at once), but until we
> have that we can either:
>
> - muddle on with gettext

This is the least intrusive solution, and thus the safest one.

> - have a lang file for each layout.

Are the "Chapter" strings in the layout files?  I thought they were
hard coded...

Greets,

Asger