Lars> I am beginning to agree with Jean-Marc that gettext is unable to
Lars> handle this case. (a gettext written for C++ using the C++
Lars> notion of locale would work)

Lars> Using gettext would be just a shorterm fix, and it would only be
Lars> correct when the locale lang is equal to the doc lang.

Lars> - muddle on with gettext - have a lang file for each layout.

We have two things to do:

1) localize the name of the layouts in the GUI and the menus (once we
   have ported the new menu system). gettext is able to handle that,
   but this means we have to hardcode translations of things which ar
   enot compiled in. For me, this is a problem.

2) Make the GUI reflect the commands like \chaptername. I think we
   would need to add a concept of variables in layout files, and
   provide language files which define the variables correclt
   ydepending on the language. We should take the descriptions
   directly from babel, so that the translation job is minimal.

The first part is easy, the second would be a bit more work, but not
too much.