I started out using TRS-DOS in the 80s and have been on all operating
systems over the years. ;-)

I'm primarily a Windows user today, because of the work culture and the
hardware I have (Surface Pro). But I've always believed that any kind of
dogma regarding the "best flavor" of IT is dangerous because, well, it's
ephemeral. Even if you're right today...

That said, LyX under Ubuntu seems less flexible than under Windows, since
it's not using MikTeX but TeXLive. As such, when a new package or something
is needed, it can't install it on the fly. Perhaps I missed something about
my Ubuntu install?

Cheers,

Cris