On 13-May-18 3:16 PM, Bernt Lie wrote:
1: I agree, and I didn't say so. Essentially, my point is that developers can
not do that without compromising its OS agnostics. For various reasons, I use
Windows myself. And I have full respect for others making different choices. I
don't think the LyX list should be used for negative description of OSes not
used by oneself.

2: I see the point. If there are no negative side effects of upgrading to the
latest version of MikTeX, I'd do the following:
* Put in a LyX 2.3.0 installation link.
* Start by checking if the latest MikTeX version is installed. If yes, proceed
and install LyX 2.3.0
* If not, explain why, and point to a link (youtube, or whatever) on how the
user can upgrade MikTeX and say "retry after you have upgraded MikTeX".

Maybe a solution?

I have sent an e-mail a while back and told my experience with the current LyX
approach and how problematic it is if one tries to update Miktex while running
LyX setup program. I have tried it several times but never worked for me. I
have recommended the above approach (or smtg similar) as well.

In my opinion, developers should not put their valuable time into what they are
doing right now; instead they should proceed with the above approach (which
seems easier to implement) and concentrate on making LyX more compatible with
MikTeXs current and future releases. (Sorry if what I said does not make sense
as I am not a programmer.)

BE