Ken,

where is the missing link :-)-O?

This is great news.

I am actually waiting for 2.4 and DocBook to convert my 859
page "handbook" to EPUB so my staff and I can carry it around on our
Kindles (App on iPad actually).

But, I would be very keen to see how your package works.

My little handbook doesn't really need anything fancier than a few
images (JPG, PNG and PDF).

I also use (in one (common) "include.tex") something like

         \usepackage{etoolbox}
         \newbool{business}
         \boolfalse{business}
         \newbool{private}
         \booltrue{private}

but if that (see your below remark) were not to work I can address that
via a Makefile and different include (front matter) files as you seem to
be doing.

Maybe you can look into that, because then you can have a single include
file by putting something like this into a Makefile

bus:
         @perl -i -p \
                  -e 's/\\boolfalse\{business\}/\\booltrue\{business\}/g;' \
                  -e 's/\\booltrue\{private\}/\\boolfalse\{private\}/g;' \
                  include.tex
         @lyx -f -e pdf5 handbook.lyx

priv:
         @perl -i -p \
                  -e 's/\\booltrue\{business\}/\\boolfalse\{business\}/g;' \
                  -e 's/\\boolfalse\{private\}/\\booltrue\{private\}/g;' \
                  include.tex
         @lyx -f -e pdf5 handbook.lyx

and then use something like

         \ifbool{business}{}{\include{business.tex}}
         \ifbool{private}{\include{private.tex}}{}

as ERT.

Looks complicated, is complicated, but once it works no further
touching required.

In the meantime I have pulled

         http://www.editorium.com/ftp/LyXBookSampler.zip

from