On 12/06/2011 05:55 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> On 07/12/11 09:41:13, Richard Heck wrote:
>>> Unless it's the LyX project's position that LyX's only function is
>>> build PDF and Docbook, then this is very ontopic.
>>>
>> Do you think the LyX list is also good for discussion of the details
>> of the ps2pdf converter? Or for reporting bugs with it?
> No, but I don't think it is the same.
>
> If LyX is to develop into a serious e-book editor, then this is a very
> LyX related discussion. Even users such as myself who are in no
> position to contribute directly to the development have an interest in
> how this develops. "Mere" users can eventually have an input into this
> development.
>
> It is not just a discussion about converters or bugs. It relates to how
> LyX will look and behave in the future. I agree with Steve and others
> that LyX could become major tool for writing e-books. As such, the
> discussion doesn't seem to me to be off topic.

I agree with Steve, as well, that LyX could become such a tool. But that
is not what this discussion has been about. This discussion, as the
subject makes very clear, has been about elyxer, and about a very
specific question Steve had about it.

If people want to have a general discussion about how to make LyX a good
tool for writing e-books, then let's have that discussion. And let's
have it in such a way that it has something to do with LyX, which none
of this discussion so far has. Indeed, various of us have already been
having that discussion---but it is, frankly, a discussion for the devel
list, which many non-developers read and contribute to, for exactly the
reason you mention: because users' input is welcome and needed. This
list is for issues with LyX itself, or for questions about how to use
it, etc.

Richard