On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM, David L. Johnson
<david.john...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
> On 03/20/2013 11:43 AM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:
>>>

>>> I would really love to be able to conveniently edit the TeX code directly
>>> - I'd
>>> be vastly more productive.  I find lyx gui editing - as all other math
>>> editors -
>>> to be terribly frustrating and unproductive.  I used LaTeX since 1980s,
>>> and the
>>> lack of this is the only thing that makes me think twice before deciding
>>> to use
>>> LyX instead of just using LaTeX.
>
> I do understand this tendency, since I also came to LyX with a TeX
> background.  Way back when LyX was young, Matthais set up the math-insets
> the way you would want them, and math was just written in what we now call
> ERT (Evil Red Text, a TeX inset.  It's evil mostly because you have the
> usual problems that if your code is wrong, it won't produce any output and
> TeX will yell at you.).  You can still do that if you want.  Use a TeX inset
> rather than a math one, and it will work.

Another way to scratch your (La)TeX itch is to use LyX's layouts. You
can make your own environments and insets and you define the LaTeX
that is behind all of those. For my use, I've found that if there's a
customization that I just want once, ERT is great. If I find myself
doing something many times, I am starting to consider making a module
or adding to my local layout. See the customization manual for
information on these options.

Scott