On 06/11/2013 02:03 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:32:12 -0400
Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

On 06/10/2013 06:05 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
These days, it could be used as a front end to anything with the
proper styles defined, and the proper converter. So the same LyX
file could be used to output LaTeX, MSWord doc, XHTML, HTML, simple
HTML, or who knows what else.

To more easily accommodate this, it seems to me like layout files
should be split into an input side and an output side, with the
output side capable of multiple output formats. So the input side
might look something like this:

CharStyle MyEmph
Font
        Shape Italic
EndFont

if outputtype == latex
     outputName latexlayout.layout/myemphL
     outputType Command
elsif outputtype == simplehtml
     outputName simphtmllayout.layout/myemphH
     outputType InlineTag
else outputtype == msword
     outputName winwordlayout.layout/myemphW
     outputType CharacterStyle
End

Environments would be similar.

Ideally it would be designed so that it doesn't syntax check inside
the output type's it's not. That way you can develop one output
type at a time without getting errors from the ones you haven't
developed yet.
This can already be done, more or less. That is, I can't imagine
anything you'd want to do, as far as XHTML export goes, that isn't
provided for in the layout files.

Indeed, I am sufficiently confident about this that I'd be surprised
if it were not possible to build the sort of simple HTML export you
want simply by writing a new layout file.
Thanks Richard,

When I tried to do this with my layout file, it failed miserably. Try
as I might, I couldn't get Standard to map to <p>, nor could I get
Section to map to <h1>, etc.

If you want to send me your layout file, I will get it working.

Richard