Harry,

What are the odds that both would go out at the same time!

My wife has trouble with her devices, because she has her hands so saturated
with creams…

Take the screen off the Otterbox and see if it works….

There has to be a common cause of possibly something covering the fingerprint
home button (a cream that won’t allow it to read)  I kept losing the back off
the original Apple Watch due to sunscreen…If it was just one it would make you
think the button needed to be replace but both…!!

John